SSD for new recordings?

digdoug

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am setting up my BI server and I have the basics sorted for equipment. The only question I keep reading conflicting info on is the type of storage for "New" recordings. Some people on some sites recommend using SSD for new recordings. Others say to just use a surveillance drive.

Is anyone using an M.2 SSD for recordings??

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The general consensus is to use an ssd for your windows and BI database and use a surveillance drive for your actual storage.

An ssd will work for the storage too but consumer grade ssd's are not built for the sustained write performance inflicted by a camera system.
They will burn out.
After what time depends on a few factors not least of which is how many cameras and how you have them configured.

It might last a year, it might last 5 years.
Given the price of ssd's these days it's almost worth spending the dollars to find out. :)

EDIT:
It's worth mentioning that you will get substantially more storage space for your dollar if you get a surveillance drive instead of an ssd.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
All 2 of my BI systems incorporate an 8 Terabyte WD Purple. The video review/ retrieval will be fast on an SSD. but you get less days of storage.
I'm sure someday I'll try it....But I need 30 days around the Condo to catch wind of Trends, and Trendbuckers, and Motherfuckers, who steal.