Sricam SP005 - Security concerns

naripeddi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have just purchased a Sricam SP005 IP Cam and I am extremely happy with the picture quality and the pan, tilt functionality when viewing from a remote location.

However, I started to wonder if this camera is safe to use, since anyone with the Camera ID can view it publicly (the default password for the camera is widely known to all). Also, I recorded a clip from mobile app (supplied by the Sricam company) and shared it on WhatsApp. The other party who received the clip reported to me that, when trying to play the clip, WhatsApp said the clip will be deleted since the clip can be a security issue.

In another instance, I noticed that the camera doesn't have a proper motion detection alarm, since it kept on sending push messages even when there was no motion. When I contacted the "support" in my country, they said that they will have their Chinese counterparts connect to my PC via TeamViewer and do a Firmware upgrade so that motion detection happens accurately. When asked why the company can't release the Firmware upgrade on their site or even over the air update, there was no answer from them.

This being a Chinese company, I am really worried about the security holes this camera might have (and may be even this company can steal information intentionally)...

Please let me know if my concerns are true so that I can return the camera.

Regards

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have just purchased a Sricam SP005 IP Cam and I am extremely happy with the picture quality and the pan, tilt functionality when viewing from a remote location.

However, I started to wonder if this camera is safe to use, since anyone with the Camera ID can view it publicly (the default password for the camera is widely known to all). Also, I recorded a clip from mobile app (supplied by the Sricam company) and shared it on WhatsApp. The other party who received the clip reported to me that, when trying to play the clip, WhatsApp said the clip will be deleted since the clip can be a security issue.

In another instance, I noticed that the camera doesn't have a proper motion detection alarm, since it kept on sending push messages even when there was no motion. When I contacted the "support" in my country, they said that they will have their Chinese counterparts connect to my PC via TeamViewer and do a Firmware upgrade so that motion detection happens accurately. When asked why the company can't release the Firmware upgrade on their site or even over the air update, there was no answer from them.

This being a Chinese company, I am really worried about the security holes this camera might have (and may be even this company can steal information intentionally)...

Please let me know if my concerns are true so that I can return the camera.

Regards
Aside from any security issues, Sricam is a junk brand, return it if you can otherwise use vpn, and at least change your password . Almost every camera is made by chinese companies..

naripeddi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I went for the Sricam is the cost. I wanted a very quick monitoring cam for my mom's house which I want to monitor from a different city, and I did not (yet) have the budget to go for proper CCTV cams (such as HikVision). I have been using the dependable D-Link 933L but its functionality is limited, hence I thought of adding the Sricam in a different room.

I did change the password for the camera, but how to use VPN?