Spider At Work

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes but it also depends on placement. An eyeball sheltered close to a peak or other "nice" location can easily have spider troubles. Turrets or eyeball domes just don't have the top hood that most bullets have that make them extra attractive to spiders.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
This turret always has troubles with spiders. I left a ladder there to make cleaning webs faster. I'll probably remount it below the vent to make maintenance less frequent.

2016-09-14 16.28.14.jpg

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a Broom resting with the handle inside a Pool Pole to reach the 2nd floor cameras on my house. The broom can spin in the pool pole which I guess isn't ideal but I don't need any pressure to remove the spider webs from my cams, just a quick brushing and done deal.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another option is to turn off the internal IR on the cams and put up separate dedicated IR illuminators such as These or These. The spiders and bugs will go for the illuminators and leave the cameras alone

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Gotcha. I think the location I pictured is a natural web location regardless of IR, but yes using external illuminators reduce the effects of webs on the picture whatever the reason spiders are building there.

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
Another option is to turn off the internal IR on the cams and put up separate dedicated IR illuminators such as These or These. The spiders and bugs will go for the illuminators and leave the cameras alone
Do you have any experience with either? Couple years back I bought one that looked superficially similar to the second one cited - but it turned out to be junk: inadequate light output on Day-1 and failure of the LCDs one-by-one over time.

The idea, however, is attractive.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I personally do not but I got those specific links to Amazon from another user on this forum who had been using them for some time successfully and happily. I just made reference to this in another thread earlier today.

Pardigital

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's the combo I use for spider webs. I can reach the 2nd floor eves without any trouble.

Brush
Extension Pole (I purchased mine at HD)

Sure beats throwing/tossing something up in the air to try and bring the webs down:rolleyes:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I usually have an abundance of neighbourhood cats available for tossing.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Might make for a good post in the video captures section...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the problem is not the bullet factor, the problem is the LED's.. look at the LED's on your bullets and look at the LED's on the Turret..

These are through hole round diodes, they blast light in an omnidirectional pattern and are reflected out the front:

This camera uses surface mount diodes, aka LXIR or EXIR.. they blast light in one direction, away from the camera

The difference is the whole front of your bullet camera looks like one giant glowing surface.. think of it as a 3in diameter light beam spreading out in a very crude way.. the turret camera has a half inch beam thats not lighting up anything structural on the camera its self.

You can get bullets w/out the ring of round through hole LED's, but they are often bigger as a result.. overall one should avoid those round IR diodes if at all possible, they suck in comparison.