Specific case and where is the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12?

brightnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a very specific setup requirement for setting up a security camera. I have a remote cabin with no power. I'd like to power the camera with a 12V battery and solar charger (that parts easy for me). I wanted an external mic and was going to wire the security camera to a PIR. When the PIR (which uses very little power) senses motion, it turns the security camera on and also some external 940nm LED floodlights. I'd also like to record in full HD video and only need to check the footage when I arrive at the cabin (no internet out there). Based on all of my reading on this site, the HFW5231E-Z12 seems like the best choice. I was hoping someone could help me make sure this is the right choice and answer a few questions about the camera and terminology in general. I appreciate any help or suggestions in advance.

1) Both links from the "IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes" show the HFW5231E-Z12 as out of stock. Did the Z12 get replaced by a newer version or is it really out of stock?
US $235.0 |Aliexpress.com : Buy IPC HFW5231E Z12E 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera replace the IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping from Reliable bullet camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

US $231.0 |Aliexpress.com : Buy Black Friday Shopping Carnival cameras 2MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12E free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

2) If the camera says “Micro SD memory” that means I can save to a micro SD on the camera right? No NVR needed? I'd hate to have to power up something other then the camera if possible.

3) I assume there would be no problems with placing a large 12V battery in one location and then running wires from the battery 30-50ft to the camera to power it.

4) Whats the difference between E-PoE and PoE?

5) What's the difference between the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and the HFW5231E-Z12E?

6) Whats the difference between Ultra Varifocals vs Varifocals?

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. contact @EMPIRETECANDY directly for stock
2. Yes, it has an SD card slot to record to
3. You'll need to watch voltage drop, but you can power from a distance
4/5. The E is extended distance. Normal network specs are 300', this will go 800'. You won't need that
6. I assume the "ultra" is marketing speak for some x number of optical zoom

The camera you are looking at has a 12X zoom which normally has a pretty specific use. How far are you mounting this camera away from what you want to see? or better yet, what are you trying to accomplish?

brightnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to respond. There is a fox den right behind my cabin and I'd like to record footage and audio of the activity around it.

The "E" that means extended is really about the IR LEDs on the camera, which don't apply to me, is that correct?

Last edited:

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to respond. There is a fox den right behind my cabin and I'd like to record footage and audio of the activity around it.

The "E" that means extended is really about the IR LEDs on the camera, which don't apply to me, is that correct?
No, the E is the ability to power the camera over 'E'xtended distance.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a very specific setup requirement for setting up a security camera. I have a remote cabin with no power. I'd like to power the camera with a 12V battery and solar charger (that parts easy for me). I wanted an external mic and was going to wire the security camera to a PIR. When the PIR (which uses very little power) senses motion, it turns the security camera on and also some external 940nm LED floodlights. I'd also like to record in full HD video and only need to check the footage when I arrive at the cabin (no internet out there). Based on all of my reading on this site, the HFW5231E-Z12 seems like the best choice. I was hoping someone could help me make sure this is the right choice and answer a few questions about the camera and terminology in general. I appreciate any help or suggestions in advance.

1) Both links from the "IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes" show the HFW5231E-Z12 as out of stock. Did the Z12 get replaced by a newer version or is it really out of stock?
US $235.0 |Aliexpress.com : Buy IPC HFW5231E Z12E 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera replace the IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping from Reliable bullet camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

US $231.0 |Aliexpress.com : Buy Black Friday Shopping Carnival cameras 2MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW5231E Z12E free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

2) If the camera says “Micro SD memory” that means I can save to a micro SD on the camera right? No NVR needed? I'd hate to have to power up something other then the camera if possible.

3) I assume there would be no problems with placing a large 12V battery in one location and then running wires from the battery 30-50ft to the camera to power it.

4) Whats the difference between E-PoE and PoE?

5) What's the difference between the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and the HFW5231E-Z12E?

6) Whats the difference between Ultra Varifocals vs Varifocals?
1-No, still available talk to @EMPIRETECANDY
2-correct
3-Correct
4-See link below
5-12e is newer version.
6-The ultras have typically better low light specs, than non ultras.

You can see and compare all the cams here: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/allProducts/1

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would think that by the time the camera boots it would be too late to see anything.

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have no experience with them but have you considered a trail camera? From reading your requirements and limitations they may be a better option.

brightnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good idea, I have considered it but I'd like to use this as a trail camera for the footage quality.