Someone on eBay has a bunch of Dahua SD49225T-HN cameras

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think he said he has 30 of them, used:

I just got two, and they're in pristine condition inside and out. Came to $380 for two, shipped. ($135 each plus $52 shipping for each).

According to the "life statistics" in the camera's admin panel they both have around 1000 days of use, but in my experience that's fine for these cameras. And both cameras came with 64-gig SD cards inside them, and looking at the footage they were mounted on a pole not using the PTZ.

I love these cameras, I have a few of them mounted right out in the weather taking the brunt of oncoming storms, the last one with 80mph winds, for a few years now and I've never had a problem.

Anyway thought I'd mention in case anyone else needs more of this great but discontinued camera. And if anyone is going to buy a bunch and is in SF Bay Area, maybe we should see about a bulk deal, I'd love a few more too.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this the version with autotracking?

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The HNR version had the autotrack.

At one point I had six of these PTZ's deployed. (Now down to 4) They seem to last about five - six years out in the elements before they gradually die. The first symptoms seem to be failing to remember PTZ settings past reboots. It's as if the non-volatile memory storage stops working. That isn't too much of a problem. I just reset the PTZ positions when needed. Unfortunately, that becomes untenable once they start to randomly reboot.

I'm tempted by these cheap replacements, but also interested in the imaging advancements we've seen on the 1/1.8" sensors.

Cheap, but same old tech for a couple years vs new improved imaging but much higher cost.....the dilemma

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is this the version with autotracking?
Nope. For me no biggie, but good point. Is the sequel the PTZ6C2M-45X? I know that has autotracking, as well as 45x zoom. I'd love to try that one, especially because zoom is super important for my use case (I use these to look out over the ocean), but I'm not $730 worth of curious.

They seem to last about five - six years
My oldest is I think 6 years old, and that one is just ridiculous how exposed it is to the weather, and so far so good. It gets covered in salty ocean fog almost every morning, gets fully 80 mph winds during every major storm, and never even hiccups.

1707343547168.jpeg

(I've since upgraded that mount, ha).

The case has a little bit of pitting but I recently upgraded it's SD card and inside is still pristine. If it died tomorrow though I'd consider it amazing that it lasted this long though. After every storm I expect it to be dead, but nope still going.

Amazing cameras.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jim_OS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to the "life statistics" in the camera's admin panel they both have around 1000 days of use, but in my experience that's fine for these cameras.
Yes, $150 is of course a tempting price and a running time of around 3 years would probably be ok, but after about 3 to 4 years the problems with the restarts and PTZ started for me. I would no longer buy an SD49225T-HN that has already run for 3 years. But of course everyone has to decide for themselves. :)

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, $150 is of course a tempting price and a running time of around 3 years would probably be ok, but after about 3 to 4 years the problems with the restarts and PTZ started for me. I would no longer buy an SD49225T-HN that has already run for 3 years.
I just read almost all of that thread, and seems like most people posting there had the issue after only a year. Odd issue, may I never encounter it.

So far so good on both the cameras I just bought, neither has rebooted for a week. And fortunately I've never had the issue with any other SD49225T-HN.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Be glad you have not had the issues. The SD49225T-HN was a remarkable camera. Mine have even managed to image andromeda galaxy and neptune.
Six years service is OK. That is enough time that the were generation cameras are leaps ahead in imaging quality. Three years - not so much. The 4MP SD49425XB on 1/2.8 PTZ's that replaced my failed SD49225T-HN's are nowhere near as good in the dark. Sure, they ARE way better in the light, but the old SD49225T-HN is much better night time.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am REALLY wanting to test out the 1/1.8" 4 MP PTZ5A4K-25X 4K 25x 8MP 1/1.8"
Its specs are right in the new sweet spot for resolution and light sensitivity. It should be good in both day and night with higher effective resolution in both.

Unfortunately, it is near $800 after shipping and tax. So, a big jump up in cost from grabbing some used SD49225T-HN's to use for two more years.
Probably going to wait until after taxes are filed before this happens. By then, the old units will be no doubt gone.

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, a big jump up in cost from grabbing some used SD49225T-HN
A big jump over new too, those were $350 new shipped.

to use for two more years.
I'm hoping to get way more than that out of them. Time will tell of course. I'm hoping the fact that they weren't using PTZ in their previous life will help.

Would be interesting to see some comparison videos between the SD49225T-HN and PTZ5A4K-25X. Does anyone know of any?

I've learned the hard way not to trust the stated improvements for the various new Dahuas. I built a license plate reader system for a campground and got suckered into a couple of upgrades that were supposed to have much better image quality and they definitely didn't. And the upgraded features like built in ALPR (license plate reading) were absolutely useless.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am REALLY wanting to test out the 1/1.8" 4 MP PTZ5A4K-25X 4K 25x 8MP 1/1.8"…
You have two cameras listed there essentially. I have the PTZ5A4M, it’s a beast a night. No problems following deer along the tree line at over 300 yds with a new moon and absolutely no other light source

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
good deal. post some video samples.
Here's a sample of the zoom:

The people in the distance are about a mile and a half away. Pretty amazing to me. It's been rock solid without any reboots since I installed it about a month ago and is still kicking after some really hard rain.

Last edited: