So frustrating. Never knew axis cams were so difficult

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turks and Caicos Islands, British Caribbean
Hi guys. So my best bud just purchased a building for a business he has. The building already had 12 axis M3105-LVE poe IP cameras. So me being a huge dahua I convinced my friend to purchase a 16ch POE Dahua nvr. After enabling onvif and figuring out that the onvif password i created could only use lower case letters, the nvr seemed to successfuly show the camera and it came up on the monitor. My happiness was short lived because after about 5 seconds the camera stopped showing on the monitor and an error saying something about Reaching a max bit rate came up. I tried for hours to resolve this issue but could not as the camera continued to come up for a few seconds then disappear. If anyone can help me or give me some advice on this issue would be very appreciated!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which model of Dahau NVR?
What are all 12 cams' Frame Rate setting?
And the Max Bit Rate?
The cams are at best only 2MP/1080p and if Frame Rate set for perhaps 15 FPS with matching Frame Interval, one would think a 16CH NVR could handle that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And you will probably experience issues of the cameras having capabilities the NVR can't handle. ONVIF doesn't really mean much. It is why we say to match camera and NVR brands.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NVR4216-16P
I had the same NVR and an Axis M3106-LVE Mk2.

It is not easy getting Axis stuff working on a Dahua NVR.
I used ONVIF and created a separate ONVIF user on the Axis camera. Then I found what settings the NVR wanted and changed the Axis camera accordingly.

My New NVR running NVR4.0 has Axis as a manufacture now, it can change settings if it's given admin login to the camera.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I took a pic of the error message that came up on the NVR. I know the picture isnt the best but if anyone can make it out what it says can you tell me if this is an NVR issue/setting that needs to be adjusted or is this the camera settings. I feel its the camera but I am not sure.
The NVR has a maximum amount of data it can process in total.
You have too many cameras that have exceeded that.

You can:
  • Remove some cameras
  • Lower video bitrate and video quality.
There is no way around.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR has a maximum amount of data it can process in total.
You have too many cameras that have exceeded that.

You can:
  • Remove some cameras
  • Lower video bitrate and video quality.
There is no way around.
But Mark the crazy thing is I only had one camera connected to it. I was just trying to get at least one camera up.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd just build him out a Blue Iris machine. I have about 12 Axis cameras running in two different installations and they all work fine but they record to custom built Blue Iris installations I put together. I'd just dump the NVR and do that.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd just build him out a Blue Iris machine. I have about 12 Axis cameras running in two different installations and they all work fine but they record to custom built Blue Iris installations I put together. I'd just dump the NVR and do that.
We are just going to go with twelve dahua cameras. What I was worried about though is if I was missing something and that this error was because of the NVR and that we would get 12 new cameras and STILL have the problem. That was my concern.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It isn't the NVR right?
The idea I have is that the NVR is giving the wrong error message.
Maybe the NVR is 'over decode capability' but showing this warning. Decode capability is when the video codec cannot be read properly.

jayden.donaldson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We are just going to go with twelve dahua cameras. What I was worried about though is if I was missing something and that this error was because of the NVR and that we would get 12 new cameras and STILL have the problem. That was my concern.
Replacing axis with dahua :wow:. Wouldn't it be easier to put an SD card in each axis camera and use the companion app?

johnyfalco

n3wb
Reaction score
So, what NVR is going to work with AXIS cameras?? Or is it better to run them on software on a PC

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, what NVR is going to work with AXIS cameras?? Or is it better to run them on software on a PC
An Axis NVR works best with an Axis camera.... kind of seems obvious....?
You can also use Axis's software VMS or another third party VMS.