smtp notification on camera

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to get smtp notifications working on one camera (for face recognition testing).
This is using gmail, of which I have two other systems currently using gmail to send emails...so I know it works.
As far as I can tell, it's all setup properly. I've added the device in the google security section and used the password/token that it supplied. Port 465, etc. etc. The test continues to fail though. Ideas?
This is a HDBW4231FP-AS running 2.460.0000000.16.R

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never mind. Got it figured out. Dumb copy/paste issue from gmail to the cam GUI for the token/password. Had to hand-type it in and now works.

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
Never mind. Got it figured out. Dumb copy/paste issue from gmail to the cam GUI for the token/password. Had to hand-type it in and now works.
Could you walk me through what you did to get the gmail smtp working for your camera notifications? I keep getting the fail message.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue I had was due to the fact that I'm using 2FA (two factor authentication) with my gmail. These cameras/BI/etc don't support 2FA....so gmail has a way to allow apps on devices to sign in...even though they don't support 2FA.
Do a Google/gmail search for gmail sign in using app passwords.
Sign in using App Passwords - Google Account Help

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
The issue I had was due to the fact that I'm using 2FA (two factor authentication) with my gmail. These cameras/BI/etc don't support 2FA....so gmail has a way to allow apps on devices to sign in...even though they don't support 2FA.
Thanks, I don't think I am using 2 way authentication
I am still stuck. I dont use 2 factor login, and I enabled gmail to allow less secure apps but when I click the test button it still comes up Failed.

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
I figured it out. First, based on a google search I pinged smtp.gmail.com and put the ip address as the server instead of smtp.gmail.com and secondly I forgot to update the DNS address. Now it works!

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the FQDN wasn't working but the IP address did then it sounds like you didn't have DNS setup.