Smart receptacles

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any RJ45 smart receptacles available? Everything I've seen so far is always wifi

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
That's kinda the conclusion I've come to but thought I would see if anyone knew of any. Guess I'll have to resort to adding a router with a separate ssid to connect smart plugs to.

Such things exist for more industrial-type situations but far as I've seen not in the tidy little packages the likes of the Wemo, et al., WiFi units.

But yes that is essentially what's needed. Probably to industrially priced for my current need

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any RJ45 smart receptacles available? Everything I've seen so far is always wifi
I'm assuming you're asking about receptacle outlets that can be controlled for home automation. I don't think you'll ever see a product quite like you imagine, the electrical code requires that something lower voltage like Ethernet not be present in the same junction box as 120+VAC.

There are hard wired home automation systems, but system components with relays and dimmers are installed elsewhere and are not a drop in replacement for an ordinary outlet. These hardwired automation systems are generally installed at construction or during a major renovation.

Z-wave, Insteon, and UPB are all other options that don't require running a data cable.

Last edited:

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you talking about Broadband over Powerline? RJ-45 to a power outlet receptacle?

TL-PA9020P KIT | AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit | TP-Link

Nope not powerline. Regular smart plugs like this that plug in and give remote control. Except have an rj45 as an option to connect. https://www.amazon.com/TanTan-Assistant-Required-Anywhere-Upgraded/dp/B071LLWLLP/ref=sr_1_3?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1546722382&sr=1-3&keywords=smart+plug

But I am considering trying one of those powerline units for another application.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ethernet based, double and single here. I have not used either one.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, plugin devices exist.

If you ever see one that's made to be installed in-wall it's probably not code compliant. Kind of like those fire staring nightlight outlet face plates.

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh duh IP Switch, seems so obvious after one finds it. Apparently from the reviews it can be set to ping a site if no reply it can power cycle. That could be useful for keeping remote equipment online.

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, plugin devices exist.

If you ever see one that's made to be installed in-wall it's probably not code compliant. Kind of like those fire staring nightlight outlet face plates.
That does bring up another thought though. Those receptacles with built in USB are obviously in the same box, combininghigh and low voltage. But maybe they're ok cuz the low voltage is directly powered off the High voltage. Not separately powered.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That does bring up another thought though. Those receptacles with built in USB are obviously in the same box, combininghigh and low voltage. But maybe they're ok cuz the low voltage is directly powered off the High voltage.
Not really the same box, inside the receptacle itself there's a power supply that produces the lower voltage. In a UL certified product, you can be pretty confident that it was designed in a manner that provides adequate isolation between the 5VDC output and the 120VAC. Some cheap ass product from aliexpress or ebay could be a problem.

In the outlet box itself, there's a greater risk of a wire nut coming apart or things that shouldn't come in contact touching.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have looked at those outlet/USB and shied away, as many (if not most) are not UL-approved. The last few years I have bought only UL-approved AC adapters, USB chargers, wall warts etc. for myself and clients. Certainly that's no guarantee but after hearing about some house fires attributed to cheap, non-approved units, I was aware and then in late 2016 a client's house burned to the ground, as they were away and the house was 6 miles from town. Unofficial cause from local word-of-mouth and origin of fire was said to be "...a phone charger in the master bedroom". :idk:

Last edited:

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I put in a couple of the duplex receptacle/USB charger combo deals in strategic locations. Frankly, I didn't check to be sure they are UL-listed. But, given they are Legrand/Pass & Seymour brand I'd wager they are.

The gotcha I ran into is they are rather large and with a double set of wires/pass through wiring didn't fit in the small wall boxes often encountered in older houses.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have looked at those outlet/USB and shied away, as many (if not most) are not UL-approved. The last few years I have bought only UL-approved AC adapters, USB chargers, wall warts etc. for myself and clients. Certainly that's no guarantee but after hearing about some house fires attributed to cheap, non-approved units, I was aware and then in late 2016 a client's house burned to the ground, as they were away and the house was 6 miles from town. Unofficial cause from local word-of-mouth and origin of fire was said to be "...a phone charger in the master bedroom". :idk:
At least a smoking plug-in USB transformer can be pulled out of the wall if you're home. You'd have to run to the breaker panel and probably kill power to the whole house a hard-wired one did the same. Also, USB charging standards evolve so quickly, I'd rather not have to touch the house's wiring every time a better one comes out.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
USB standards do evolve both for data and charging. But, for me, the data is bigger deal. Fast/smart charge is nice but not really that big of a deal for me anyway. Most of the time mine goes on the charger at night so 1 hour, 3 hours, whatever; doesn't really matter.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All this talk of fire and chargers reminds me of when my old Apple PowerBook charger caught on fire. I was really lucky that I was awake and in the same room.
Haven't bought Apple products since.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All this talk of fire and chargers reminds me of when my old Apple PowerBook charger caught on fire. I was really lucky that I was awake and in the same room.
Haven't bought Apple products since.
I understand. The close to a hundred laptops I repaired in the 8 years of my 2nd career / small biz? I never left the house with any laptop charger plugged in, even my own. Still unplug wife's iPad when we leave as well. Ditto with my Makita drill/driver and Makita hand vac.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery fires come to mind, too. Yikes! :eek:

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understand. The close to a hundred laptops I repaired in the 8 years of my 2nd career / small biz? I never left the house with any laptop charger plugged in, even my own. Still unplug wife's iPad when we leave as well. Ditto with my Makita drill/driver and Makita hand vac.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery fires come to mind, too. Yikes! :eek:
I've caught some flak on another kind of camera forum for deciding to only buy OEM batteries in the future over much cheaper 3rd party batteries. I made my decision when I learned that 3rd party batteries just report a constant (fake) temperature back to the charger so the battery could be on fire and the charger would keep going. In my opinion, lithium batteries are a lot more dangerous than most people appreciate and I consider this an important safety feature. Of course, most people say "Well its never happened to me!" Still, on the 1/10000 chance it prevents a fire, I'll be glad it did.