Small / Cheap usb powered cameras for garage / shed

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for some cheaper suggestions for inside the shed and garage. I have good wifi coverage out there, so that's not a concern.

I'm running a old wyze for now, but looking for a little higher resolution. 2k / 4mp or so. I don't want to go full fledged POE for this. Just something small and unobtrusive.

I was looking at the TPLink Tapo's (lolipop style). They seem to have a good field of view for a smaller building, and the price is right. But wanted to see what the folks here thought.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at the TPLink Tapo's (lolipop style). They seem to have a good field of view for a smaller building, and the price is right. But wanted to see what the folks here thought.
I don't know about the Tapo (and I buy/like lots of TP-LINK gear) but I echo Looney's recommendation.

I have 4 of them for 3 years connected to Blue Iris ==>> Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Camera 2MP (1920TVL) Indoor Pan/Tilt Security Wireless IP Camera IP2M-841B (Black)

It's a re-branded Dahua and is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p (Full HD), IR, 2-way audio, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $40, can be mounted upside-down and the image inverted as needed.

It comes with a USB male to USB micro male cord, about 10 feet long and is furnished with a UL-Listed 5VDC @ 1.5A adapter with female USB.

FWIW, there's a 4MP version for $10 more == >> Amcrest 4MP UltraHD Indoor WiFi Camera, Security IP Camera with Pan/Tilt, Two-Way Audio, Night Vision, Remote Viewing, 2.4ghz, 4-Megapixel @30FPS, Wide 90° FOV, IP4M-1041W (White)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know about the Tapo (and I buy/like lots of TP-LINK gear) but I echo Looney's recommendation.

I have 4 of them for 3 years connected to Blue Iris ==>> Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Camera 2MP (1920TVL) Indoor Pan/Tilt Security Wireless IP Camera IP2M-841B (Black)

It's a re-branded Dahua and is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p (Full HD), IR, 2-way audio, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $40, can be mounted upside-down and the image inverted as needed.

It comes with a USB male to USB micro male cord, about 10 feet long and is furnished with a UL-Listed 5VDC @ 1.5A adapter with female USB.
Thanks. I've looked at them in the past but 1080p is what I've already got. The field a view is a bit narrow at 90* too. For comparison the Tapo is supposedly 110*

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I've looked at them in the past but 1080p is what I've already got. The field a view is a bit narrow at 90* too. For comparison the Tapo is supposedly 110*
I added the 4MP version above just before your post, same 90 degree viewing angle BUT....I can attest to its RTSP, Blue Iris and VLC compatibility, no cloud or Internet or app needed, etc. I cannot comment on the Tapo. :idk:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another FWIW: I've got one mounted in the corner of a 20 x 14 sun room, although its 90* / 4mm, it sees all 4 walls starting about 3 feet away from the corner where it's mounted.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another FWIW: I've got one mounted in the corner of a 20 x 14 sun room, although its 90* / 4mm, it sees all 4 walls starting about 3 feet away from the corner where it's mounted.
Thanks.