Single camera basic system with audio

zlj2011

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies for the newb questions but hoping for some guidance. I am interested in setting up a small, single camera system to record my driveway (probably around 100 foot distance from the house, perhaps less). I also require audio recording that can be pretty directional (or not) for sound amplitude of maybe 80 db from the 100 foot distance. Excellent quality night vision at roughly that distance is not absolutely necessary. Middling performance in this respect would be fine for my needs so long as the video quality is usable for seeing a subject/scene but face recognition is not critical. The camera will have some exposure to the elements but no extreme temperatures (15 deg (F) to 95 deg (F)).

Can anyone suggest reliable, non-fiddly equipment for this purpose? I have a spool of CAT6, although I am not certain if there is a specific type of CAT6 required for PoE. I also have a windows 10 home server running an I7 4770 with plenty of drives and would be willing to run Blue Iris. Not sure if Blue Iris requires a dedicated video card or video capture but I do not have either.

I am also not averse to some type of dedicated hardware if that is easier/better/reasonable cost, etc. I am also looking at the Lorex IP/PoE kits from Costco, as an example, although they seem like overkill for my needs and don't include audio as best I can tell.

thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: