Siding and Soffit install mounting base/block?

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So come spring I will be mounting 3 bullet cam (Amcrest IP4M-1024) outside of the house, wiring is not a big issue... however, what are my options as far as mounting base/block goes?

I will be installing over dutch lap vinyl siding and also under a soffit? (my 2nd floor jut out over the first floor).

I do not want to cut big holes into the siding (mounting screws are ok).

thinking of something like this, but not sure if you guys have better recommendation or if I'm not being realstic?

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/junction-boxes/dutch-lap-siding-mounting-kit/8171-1m/p-1444424265554-c-6425.htm?tid=-5174406395758135542&ipos=1

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are running your cables through the attic, I would come out of the soffit with grey pvc conduit and drop down into some sort of a weatherproof box to keep your wire protected and your connection covered like the ones on the bottom of the page that @tangent posted. This way everything is sealed up.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would come out of the soffit with grey pvc conduit and drop down into some sort of a weatherproof box
you could probably run the cable behind the siding pretty easily.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have lifted siding and hid wire and connections behind siding. If you have to run the length of the house of siding I have selected one that has no obstacles and lifted just the ends and slid a 1/4" figerglass fish rod and usually fishes easy from 1 end to the other making wire runs easier rather then lifting the entire row of siding

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have lifted siding and hid wire and connections behind siding. If you have to run the length of the house of siding I have selected one that has no obstacles and lifted just the ends and slid a 1/4" figerglass fish rod and usually fishes easy from 1 end to the other making wire runs easier rather then lifting the entire row of siding
Nice. My experience with siding is very minimal. If I was installing something on a house with siding I would stay away from it or maybe make sure that I had a replacement piece of siding in the event that a piece got screwed up. With my luck, we would end up having to do the siding on the whole house over again.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never did it at one time either, I just do it to make a neat install and hide wired. It is fairly easy actually and 1 tool made for siding around $8.00 is worth it.