Should I upgrade my firmware?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 10 Dahua cams, all from Andy

Should I bother upgrading the firmware? all of them have newer available and some of them are at least 2 years out of date. But what reasons do I have to update them? I have no issues

Can the updates ever provide picture quality improvements?

Network security is no concern, as I already treat them as if they are completely hostile

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 10 Dahua cams, all from Andy

Should I bother upgrading the firmware? all of them have newer available and some of them are at least 2 years out of date. But what reasons do I have to update them? I have no issues

Can the updates ever provide picture quality improvements?

Network security is no concern, as I already treat them as if they are completely hostile
Hi @IReallyLikePizza2

Some firmware updates are good and have fixed various bugs and firmware issues with browser support.

Personally, I would try one camera and see how well it works. It if works well, try the next one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NO LOL.

Many times an update to fix something that you were not even using to begin with then breaks something that was working for you.

Most here are of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. If your cameras are working in your setup, why risk it.

I recall someone on here with a Z12 had nothing but issues when they updated the software - multi reboots, etc. And of course a certain PTZ that lost autotracking if someone updated the firmware...

Like your LPR cams may gain some improvement to the SmartIR feature, but we run those on manual IR at 100, so that update doesn't provide a benefit to the camera in your setup, but it could certainly introduce another problem. I seem to recall someone else that had updated a camera doing LPR duty and the update messed it up.

I would suggest only updating if it fixes a known flaw with your setup and the risk is worth the reward.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless it's something truly significant that I need to address, I'm in the if it's working don't touch it camp.

Reaction score
I recall someone on here with a Z12 had nothing but issues when they updated the software - multi reboots, etc
That was probably me. I reported that a week ago. Updated the 5241 z12 with the experimental firmware that was the latest SmartIR issue. But I was not using that. I was updating for the manual focus option. That version gave me cams going offline and rebooting every 90 minutes or so. Andy gave me the latest official version and that fixed my issues.

Like others have stated, unless you have a reason to upgrade, don't do it if nothing is broken.