Setting up VPN server, two router set up

gbhalla

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, my ISP is Century Link and afaik they won't let know run a VPN server on one of their routers (even if I buy it). My plan is to set up a second router and run a VPN server on it and use it to access the remote camera feed (when I am away). I am unfortunately lost on how to do it. There are no instructions online or on youtube. I found the following link (this isn't quite what I need but perhaps is close).

I would be grateful if anyone can point me to some resource or instructions on how to set things up.

gbhalla

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick turnaround SouthernYankee. The first one (the CL one) will be either a Zyxlel 3000 or Zyxlel 4000. They also have this Greenwave C4000 ( some new router/modem). I am completely open to the second one ( the one that'll run the server). Which one should I chose?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The thing you are looking for is to put the Century link modem into bridge mode, by pass , pass thru mode This will turn the modem/router into a modem only. I would use an ASUS router for my second router as I know it supports OpenVPN. The ASUS router will also provided your WIFI.

look at

gbhalla

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again Southern Yankee. I am sorta tracking. Few questions:

1. What do I need to be careful of while ensuring static IP or DHCP reserve? Will that be on CL modem or the secondary modem?

2. Any tutorials that talk about end to end set up, for instance this one does not mention configuration files etc.? I will need those for the VPN access right?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the Asus service for ddns . This uses a name to get the correct up address. There are other DDNS service. You use a url that will return your current home Internet ip address.

When set up correctly the first router is a modem only. It will pass the internet ip address to the second router (Asus)

gbhalla

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again. Sorry lost again, why do I need the service? So at a high level
1. Set up the first one as a modem
2. Configure the second one to act as a router and have a VPN server running

I understand those two pieces and your link was very helpful. Where do I need the DDNS service? Is that a setting I can enable on the first one (Acting as a modem)? Also I will still need the vpn config files right? I found this link SoutherYankee, does this get close to what you are saying?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ddns is configured in the Asus router. If you do not have a paid for static IP address, your home IP address can change at any time. The ddns url keeps track of the IP address.

The first router is a modem. It has no smarts if set up correctly.

gbhalla

n3wb
Reaction score
I see, thanks a lot. And I would still need to have some config files on any device that I am looking to use to tunnel in right? I think there are instructions to download and move the files?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The config file is created in the Asus router for openvpn. You will install the openvpn client on each device that is to connect to the home network.

The first thing you need to do is get a CenturyLink modem/router that supports bridge/pass thru mode. This is the critical first step.