Setting up a DS-7716-SP with some remote cameras over a wireless bridge, need advice.

opjohnny

n3wb
Reaction score
Sub-contracting the IT side of a camera project my buddy is doing. He is deploying 10 hikvision cameras(unsure of models at this time) and a DS-7716-SP NVR. 2 of those cameras are not plugged directly in to the NVR due to their remote locations, so to address that we deployed a wireless bridge that consists of 1 RocketM5 and 2 NanostationM5. The Rocket is on the building where the NVR is and where all the other cameras terminate to. Each Nanostation is on a light pole just below the remote camera it is connected to. This network had no router or internet connectivity at that point in time, all IPs were statically set. The initial plan was to have the PoE-side of the NVR on that network, and the LAN port of the NVR connected to the client's actual internet-facing network for remote viewing of the NVR. The problem we ran in to was those 2 remotely located cameras were not being picked up by the NVR which I imagine was because there was no router on the network, but if we plugged them directly in to the NVR they worked fine. Do cameras not plugged directly in to the DVR require a DHCP server on the network in order for the NVR to pick them up?

Anyways, due to some issues with streaming video over the client's main network, the client opted to bring an internet connection in to the NVR/RocketM5 building just for the camera network. My question is...what would be the correct way to cable this in the NVR closet? We'll have a modem and router in there, so what all do we need to plug in to the router to make this setup work and is there anything in the NVR we need to configure for those two remote cameras to operate properly over the wireless bridge?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Setting up a DS-7716-SP with some remote cameras over a wireless bridge, need adv

Sub-contracting the IT side of a camera project my buddy is doing. He is deploying 10 hikvision cameras(unsure of models at this time) and a DS-7716-SP NVR. 2 of those cameras are not plugged directly in to the NVR due to their remote locations, so to address that we deployed a wireless bridge that consists of 1 RocketM5 and 2 NanostationM5. The Rocket is on the building where the NVR is and where all the other cameras terminate to. Each Nanostation is on a light pole just below the remote camera it is connected to. This network had no router or internet connectivity at that point in time, all IPs were statically set. The initial plan was to have the PoE-side of the NVR on that network, and the LAN port of the NVR connected to the client's actual internet-facing network for remote viewing of the NVR. The problem we ran in to was those 2 remotely located cameras were not being picked up by the NVR which I imagine was because there was no router on the network, but if we plugged them directly in to the NVR they worked fine. Do cameras not plugged directly in to the DVR require a DHCP server on the network in order for the NVR to pick them up?

Anyways, due to some issues with streaming video over the client's main network, the client opted to bring an internet connection in to the NVR/RocketM5 building just for the camera network. My question is...what would be the correct way to cable this in the NVR closet? We'll have a modem and router in there, so what all do we need to plug in to the router to make this setup work and is there anything in the NVR we need to configure for those two remote cameras to operate properly over the wireless bridge?

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum..since you now have a router, plug the ubiquiti into the router and then enter the ip address of the cameras into the NVR....

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Re: Setting up a DS-7716-SP with some remote cameras over a wireless bridge, need adv

I would make sure the bridge is also setup correctly first. I'm waiting for someone to jump in and say not to ever do wireless cause it's junk

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Router shouldn't have anything to do with the camera besides acting as a switch...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I would make sure the bridge is also setup correctly first. I'm waiting for someone to jump in and say not to ever do wireless cause it's junk
Generally that is true, particularly with home wifi...but sometimes logistically its the only way and the ubiqiti line of sight units are very good..I would use a camera with sd card recording so that events are captured even if there is a wifi interruption...

opjohnny

n3wb
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum..since you now have a router, plug the ubiquiti into the router and then enter the ip address of the cameras into the NVR....
But how will the bridge/router interface with the NVR? Do I just run a patch cable from the router to the LAN port of the NVR, and if so, can the remote cameras on the other end of the bridge communicate with the NVR this way? Or do I run a cable from the router to a PoE port of the NVR? Or do I do both?

My previous employer(enterprise IT/managed services) had me doing a lot of Ubiquiti deployments, so the bridge is good to go. I also made sure they did the NVR configuration within the same subnet of the bridge to make things easier. I gave them their list of used statics and what the DHCP range on the new router should be. I have not touched the NVR at all, but I wish I could have as this probably would have been far easier for me to figure out.

Router shouldn't have anything to do with the camera besides acting as a switch...
The NVR wasn't auto-discovering the cameras and he said that was with the cameras set with a static IP with no router on the network. Now that there is a router he told me that he has set the cameras to DHCP but the NVR still isn't seeing them. Does this require finding the cameras on the network(either via something like Advanced IP Scanner or in the DHCP lease list of the router) and manually entering their IPs in to the NVR? Apparently Hikvision told him they should auto-discover which is probably what got us to where we're at now.

Generally that is true, particularly with home wifi...but sometimes logistically its the only way and the ubiqiti line of sight units are very good..I would use a camera with sd card recording so that events are captured even if there is a wifi interruption...
Buried or aerial cabling wasn't an option here, so the Ubiquitis were definitely needed for those two remote camera locations. The distance is short and I've been seeing all reliability and strong signal from my other Ubiquiti bridge projects for other clients...some on a far bigger scale than what we did here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Use the hikvision sadp tool (available on their website to find the cameras)...
The NVR can see any camera connected to the network..simply connect the NVR lan port to the router/switch...manually enter the ip address

opjohnny

n3wb
Reaction score

Use the hikvision sadp tool (available on their website to find the cameras)...
The NVR can see any camera connected to the network..simply connect the NVR lan port to the router/switch...manually enter the ip address
The NVR can see networked cameras through the LAN port? That's good to know. So I'll have the bridge and the NVR LAN plug directly in to the router, correct?

ETA: And probably a stupid question but I want to be sure...the PoE ports of the NVR are only there as PoE ports for direct-connect cameras and not to be connected to our network, right?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

The NVR can see networked cameras through the LAN port? That's good to know. So I'll have the bridge and the NVR LAN plug directly in to the router, correct?

ETA: And probably a stupid question but I want to be sure...the PoE ports of the NVR are only there as PoE ports for direct-connect cameras and not to be connected to our network, right?
Yes they can see cameras via the lan port..in fact many nvr's dont have poe ports at all..
You can plug both into the router, or any network connection like a switch that is also connected to the router..
Yes the poe ports are for connecting cameras directly...

opjohnny

n3wb
Reaction score

Awesome, thanks so much for the info. Never even heard of Hikvision before this project so I had no idea how this thing worked and the quick start/user guide weren't much help. :redface-new:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Awesome, thanks so much for the info. Never even heard of Hikvision before this project so I had no idea how this thing worked and the quick start/user guide weren't much help. :redface-new:
Hikvision is the largest security camera manufacture in the world...

opjohnny

n3wb
Reaction score

Hikvision is the largest security camera manufacture in the world...
I came from enterprise IT and now freelance, so I don't really work with camera systems. That's one of the "the vendor deals with it" areas of my world.

hereu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Rocket to router

Router to NVR LAN port.