Set up with Team Viewer?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Given that my business is the location of my new pending camera security LAN, and I do not live there, what I would like to know is if I can use TeamViewer to download BI and do all the necessary setup for all the cameras and equipment, using my laptop in the TeamViewer remote control mode? If I could perhaps I would not need an on site monitor and mouse. I already have TeamViewer on my laptop and it seems to work well for other remote control functions. After the setup is complete I understand that BI is a good remote control SW for monitoring my cams.

sr80

n3wb
Reaction score
You can install Teamviewer on the pc that is part of your camera LAN, and remote control it from your laptop. I recommend ensuring that the power settings for the camera LAN pc is set for always power on (sleep off), if using Windows turn off User Account Control (I seen TeamViewer freeze due to this being on), and when installing Teamviewer on it, choose the option for remote access & set a password. I use Teamviewer to do just about everything remotely.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that teamviewer adds as significnat amount of cpu consumption while you are actively viewing..depending on your numbers it may bring the system to a crawl.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can install Teamviewer on the pc that is part of your camera LAN, and remote control it from your laptop. I recommend ensuring that the power settings for the camera LAN pc is set for always power on (sleep off), if using Windows turn off User Account Control (I seen TeamViewer freeze due to this being on), and when installing Teamviewer on it, choose the option for remote access & set a password. I use Teamviewer to do just about everything remotely.
Sounds encouraging only it also is a paradox in as much as I would have to have a monitor and mouse on the camera PC in order to download the TeamViewer SW, in the first place, witch is what I am trying to avoid. I hadn't thought of that. Hmmm

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Keep in mind that teamviewer adds as significnat amount of cpu consumption while you are actively viewing..depending on your numbers it may bring the system to a crawl.
What he said. You can install TeamViewer as a backup option if you want, but I would avoid doing so.

Set up a VPN instead, and use Windows Remote Desktop.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Teamviewer is not a bad thing to have as a backup. The other day I lost remote access to one of my BI servers. Turns out that for some reason my cable modem had reset to factory defaults, wiping out my port maps. With Teamviewer I was able to troubleshoot the problem from inside the network. I also have a VPN configured, but its nice to know that if the network is up I have a way to remotely access the system. Otherwise its a 300 mile round trip to fix a prblem.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What he said. You can install TeamViewer as a backup option if you want, but I would avoid doing so.

Set up a VPN instead, and use Windows Remote Desktop.
Is it right to assume that a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the same as a VLAN with password or inscription access protection?

I do plan on buying my server PC with Windows 10 Pro OS. And I will download it with Blue Iris right away, and TeamViewer. I already have the BI app on my laptop and my I phone; getting ready. Of course I can't do anything with the app yet because I don't have the BI program installed anywhere yet; not to mention that I also don't have any IP cameras yet either. Still many questions to answer first.

Last edited by a moderator:

sr80

n3wb
Reaction score
I've used TeamViewer for years, and had no issues with CPU usage. You can change the options to use low quality/fast connection speed if you do run into issues. A VPN with Remote Desktop setup, while nice, requires significantly more configuration on multiple components, and is more costly than Teamviewer for basically the same feature. I use both on my camera pc, and Teamviewer has bailed me out a couple times. Great as a backup, and good as primary. Good to have Teamviewer on the phone too. While waiting in line for rides at a theme park, I used the down time with Teamviewer to finish setting up my camera pc remotely.