Sending alerts via Verizon SMS is not working well anymore

Fitz2380

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using a gmail account to send alerts to my phone via Verizon SMS. A few weeks ago?? I noticed that my alerts were slow and in some cases alerts from days before. I have been spending time investigating the issue and now have determined that it must be Verizon that is throttling my text messages.

I created a brand new gmail email this morning to see if a new email would change anything and it behaves the same way. In reviewing the gmail account, I can see the appropriate email being sent at roughly the time of the alert. However, I am not receiving the text message from Verizon for at least 10 minutes and is some cases hours later.

This does not work well for trying to get timely security alerts.

Has anyone else been having this problem or know of some solution for this? This worked well for almost a year so something has changed recently to impact this.

Thanks,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has been documented in another thread that VERIZON has been causing issues with this. They seem to have changed their spam filtering and is causing havoc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Others have reported the issue in other threads with Verizon. It could be related to some coding in DeepStack that is triggering the Verizon spam filters, or they simply changed their spam filters.

Do not know if this would help or not, but worth a shot to see if you can unblock your email:

Fitz2380

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I had searched the forum but somehow did not run across the other posts. Appreciate the heads up. It would be interesting to know if something within Blue Iris has triggered the verizon filters, as someone suggested above with Deepstack.

hapstabu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Verizon cell service.
I was using their SMS and MMS gateway to send audio files from a program called Two Tone Detect, along with notifications from Blue Iris.
On about June 18, I began missing pages, the pages arrived as late as five hours late.
This was happening with both the @vtext.com and the @vzwpix.com gateways.
Error amounted to "too many sessions from" a Google mail server.
Tried sending with three other email accounts, all with the same results.
This was a weekend, I couldn't stand to spend trying to explain all this to Verizon tech support.
I just assume they broke their email gateway servers, why, I don't know.
My solution for Two Tone Detect audio files was configure and use a Pushbullet account, and for Blue Iris, I changed to a Pushover account.

Sorry for the long post, HTH

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

tpass00

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Verizon cell service.
I was using their SMS and MMS gateway to send audio files from a program called Two Tone Detect, along with notifications from Blue Iris.
On about June 18, I began missing pages, the pages arrived as late as five hours late.
This was happening with both the @vtext.com and the @vzwpix.com gateways.
Error amounted to "too many sessions from" a Google mail server.
Tried sending with three other email accounts, all with the same results.
This was a weekend, I couldn't stand to spend trying to explain all this to Verizon tech support.
I just assume they broke their email gateway servers, why, I don't know.
My solution for Two Tone Detect audio files was configure and use a Pushbullet account, and for Blue Iris, I changed to a Pushover account.

Sorry for the long post, HTH

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk
@hapstabu I am having a similar issue with TTD detect and trying to figure out a solution. When you moved to pushbullet account did everyone getting your TTD notifications need to download an app to get them? Is it still working well for you?

hapstabu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@hapstabu I am having a similar issue with TTD detect and trying to figure out a solution. When you moved to pushbullet account did everyone getting your TTD notifications need to download an app to get them? Is it still working well for you?
Yes, it is still working fine for me. I'm sorry, but I do not send the audio to a group, only myself. You do need to install the Pushbullet app on your phone. AND it seems that since Two Tone Detect was purchased by IAmResponding, all the original documentation is gone as how to have multiple users subscribe to the Pushbullet feed that you set up for sending the notifications. I have been looking on the Pushbullet website for a little bit, but I do not immediately see how to have multiple users subscribe to your feed.
If timing is not super critical, I have also had luck using a unique email address with the same provider that is used to send the notifications, using an email client that supports push notifications. For instance, Gmail to Gmail, Outlook to Outlook etc. I used Outlook with the Outlook app, and the response was within a minute or two of the Pushbullet notification.
Of course, keep in mind that this app is not for actual dispatch.
If anyone has info about how to subscribe multiple users to the feed, it would be helpful.
HTH

hapstabu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it is still working fine for me. I'm sorry, but I do not send the audio to a group, only myself. You do need to install the Pushbullet app on your phone. AND it seems that since Two Tone Detect was purchased by IAmResponding, all the original documentation is gone as how to have multiple users subscribe to the Pushbullet feed that you set up for sending the notifications. I have been looking on the Pushbullet website for a little bit, but I do not immediately see how to have multiple users subscribe to your feed.
If timing is not super critical, I have also had luck using a unique email address with the same provider that is used to send the notifications, using an email client that supports push notifications. For instance, Gmail to Gmail, Outlook to Outlook etc. I used Outlook with the Outlook app, and the response was within a minute or two of the Pushbullet notification.
Of course, keep in mind that this app is not for actual dispatch.
If anyone has info about how to subscribe multiple users to the feed, it would be helpful.
HTH
tpass00
I've got it. when you set up the channel(s) for the notifications that you will send, on the edit page for the channel, there will be a link called "share this link". Email this link to the user. The user should have set up Pushbullet using the email address for their phone. When user receives the email, they should click that link. They will open a page displaying the notifications for that channel. On the left, there will be a "FOLLOW" link. They will click that link, they will be subscribed, and then they will receive all notifications that you send.
I've done this with several email addresses that I have, and it works.
Good luck, HTH