Security system design help

Brizine

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a commercial property that is lighted 24/7. We want to install ip camera system. We have already purchased a netgear gs234pp switch to power the cameras and will purchase Blue Iris to manage them. I have attached a arial photo of the property with red lines drawn where all garage and walk thru doors are. The building is 60ft wide x 100ft in length. From my reading here, I believe that we should go with either the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 or the IPC-Color4K-T. If it was not lighted 24/7, the camera choice would be easily be the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3, but I'm not sure if the IPC-Color4K-T would be the better choice for are circumstances. Any recommendations as to camera choices as well as layout would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I can do enough adequate research to confidently make a solid decision before Andys spring sale ends. Obviously we would like to order during the sale for the discount. Any and all suggestions will be considered, even if outside of what we have listed here. Thanks in advance for any help or advice in setting this up. BrianIMG_0013.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the 54IR series. That ZE varifocal gives you so many options.

While the 4K/T is nice and I do have several, most of us use it as overview cameras. The 4K cams on the 1/1.2" sensor show that these cameras are not infinity focus (none of them are, but some are more obvious than others) and the 4K/T is one that has a very small focus range of about 14-18 feet and everything closer than 14 feet or further than 18 feet will be soft/blurry. As an overview it isn't an issue, but if it is mission critical to get a good IDENTIFY of someone 8 feet away, it may or may not be as crisp as you would like.

At a minimum you will want two cameras at each entrance (the two close together could probably be covered with one set of cameras) one on either side of the entrance with field of view in a crossing pattern to cover either way a perp comes and provide coverage so they cannot blindly come up and disable a camera.

Then you need to decide if you want to get maybe the 54IR-Z4E to point out at the entrance ways for vehicles to pass.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a commercial property that is lighted 24/7. We want to install ip camera system. We have already purchased a netgear gs234pp switch to power the cameras and will purchase Blue Iris to manage them. I have attached a arial photo of the property with red lines drawn where all garage and walk thru doors are. The building is 60ft wide x 100ft in length. From my reading here, I believe that we should go with either the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 or the IPC-Color4K-T. If it was not lighted 24/7, the camera choice would be easily be the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3, but I'm not sure if the IPC-Color4K-T would be the better choice for are circumstances. Any recommendations as to camera choices as well as layout would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I can do enough adequate research to confidently make a solid decision before Andys spring sale ends. Obviously we would like to order during the sale for the discount. Any and all suggestions will be considered, even if outside of what we have listed here. Thanks in advance for any help or advice in setting this up. BrianView attachment 189678
Welcome brizine

I would recommending picking up a few different models you are considering and test them.

Remember to check the DORI section of the cliff notes

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
What mat200 said. Cant go wrong testing every location first with a bucket of rocks and a 10ft 2x4.

I whipped up a quick layout plan that may give you some ideas as to where to start. cam 7,8 & 9 are alternative views as to having cams at each corner. Maybe some other suggestions by other members here would be welcome.

Attachments

Brizine

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the replies. Everyone confirmed my suspicion and we have ruled out the 4k/t cameras for the 5442 series. dudemaar, you have cameras 8 & 9 on the east side of the building but don't list what they are. Also if the eastside gets 4 cameras, wouldn't the west side need the same layout?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
7, 8&9 are just alternative position options. I personally would consider and test cams 1- 6 locations. This is a plan I quickly slapped together to help give you an idea where you could place cameras.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Always choose a bullet cam over the turret especially for dark performance.
Turrets are typically for "low profile" situations. Consider the back too as the
monsters can make a new entrance quite easily now with battery operated tools
as you know.

Also welcome fellow Okie. I grew up in the City.

Brizine

n3wb
Reaction score
So we are going to get bullets on everyone's recommendations. Been reading a few threads trying to educate myself before coming here to ask questions. I can't seem to find what the difference in close focal distance and dori distance. The ipc-b4ir-ze and ipc-b4ir-z4e-s3 have very similar close focal distance, but very different dori distance. I understand that the lenses for each camera have a different focal length, but shouldn't that change the close focal distance? Wittaj thread The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection helped me quite a bit, but still not sure why the close focal distance is so close on these two cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So we are going to get bullets on everyone's recommendations. Been reading a few threads trying to educate myself before coming here to ask questions. I can't seem to find what the difference in close focal distance and dori distance. The ipc-b4ir-ze and ipc-b4ir-z4e-s3 have very similar close focal distance, but very different dori distance. I understand that the lenses for each camera have a different focal length, but shouldn't that change the close focal distance? Wittaj thread The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection helped me quite a bit, but still not sure why the close focal distance is so close on these two cameras.
The close focus distance simply means how close can an object be and still be in focus.

Because the focus is adjustable it simply means at no optical zoom and an object 5 feet away that both cameras can focus on the object but the ZE at 2.7mm will have a wider field of view than the Z4E at no zoom and 8mm focal length.

So between the two you want to purchase the camera for the distance you object will be at. The ZE maxes out around 12mm wherase the Z4E is around 32mm so the Z4E has a more powerful zoom.