security cameras home construction site

tolnep

n3wb
Reaction score
a relative has had building materials stolen from his work site. we are looking for a solution. i run blue iris and cameras at home on poe. if i want to review a particular time, i can rewind to that day and time. something like this is what is needed. my home system is on an internal LAN accessible via an encrypted vpn that allows me to remotely view and control ptzs.

issues... there is power to the site but the house doesnt have a roof, no storage shed or any place to put some sort of recording pc. there are commercial systems you can buy but they are portable towers on towable platforms that go for over 30k.

i dont think a game camera, cellular camera is the answer as what is needed is continuous recording.

any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
a relative has had building materials stolen from his work site. we are looking for a solution. i run blue iris and cameras at home on poe. if i want to review a particular time, i can rewind to that day and time. something like this is what is needed. my home system is on an internal LAN accessible via an encrypted vpn that allows me to remotely view and control ptzs.

issues... there is power to the site but the house doesnt have a roof, no storage shed or any place to put some sort of recording pc. there are commercial systems you can buy but they are portable towers on towable platforms that go for over 30k.

i dont think a game camera, cellular camera is the answer as what is needed is continuous recording.

any suggestions?
There are many companies that rent those commercial units - though that is likely not in your budget but you never know. A google search will show there is lots of competition in this space.

Ring has just released a jobsite setup. Ring Jobsite Security, an Outdoor Construction Site Security System

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You have a couple of options. First, forgo a NVR system completely and simply record on the cameras via a locally installed SD Card. Second, you can use some sort of NVR system inside a weatherproof, lockable enclosure that you'll need to secure so that it can't be moved or carried away. There are plenty of options as this type of enclosure is routinely used in a variety of applications.

If you have internet access on site, then you can also design a system to allow remote access to these devices (cameras and/or NVR device) - most likely through a VPN connection through an on-site firewall. Without internet access on site, you'll have to be on-site to access the footage.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
We've been operating approx. 800 units for about 7 years with few problems in theft, however, recently a new townhome site is being constructed close by and we've had an increase in activity. It is a 6 acre site with fence surrounding the perimeter with barbed wire on top. The fence is being cut at random places and the punks are breaking into our parked construction trailers that are along the fence line and bolting before we can discover the dirty deeds. The police are called and they file a report but b/c we are in a remote area, the site is not patrolled that often. The security cameras pick up most of the action but not very good quality b/c it occurs at night.

Question: Is there a reasonable fence enhancement to deter these punks? More cameras or electric fence doesn't seem to be the answer. Maybe some sort of alarm sounding when the fence is cut? Anybody else out there with this problem or have a solution? Thanks in advance.
How much money are you losing vs having security on site overnight?