Security Camera System

Reaction score
Basically I'm looking for a security system that I can set up to send the footage to a laptop. Obviously it needs to be low resolution, like 640x480, Wi-Fi to be able to sent it, motion detection also helps. Prefer a low cost. Like under $200 for two camera.

Reaction score
Two reasons. My internet has a data cap. Plus I want it to be able to keep up with the feed. I mean I'd rather have that than use cloud storage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Two reasons. My internet has a data cap. Plus I want it to be able to keep up with the feed. I mean I'd rather have that than use cloud storage.
Is the laptop in a remote location? otherwise if its on the same network there is zero internet data usage..
The bandwidth is not related to resolution but to bitrate....many cheap vga cameras dont even use h.264 so it will use more bandwidth than an HD camera with h.264 compression...
Also, wifi is not reliable for a security camera.

Reaction score
Yeah, the laptop us with me at work while the cameras are obviously in my house.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the laptop us with me at work while the cameras are obviously in my house.
record locally, that is the best option...you can send motion events via ftp...
or record high res locally and stream and record the substream remotely...

Reaction score
When you record locally, wouldn't it be as easy as a robber to just steal the SD card too?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you record locally, wouldn't it be as easy as a robber to just steal the SD card too?
There are many options like recording to a hidden nvr...dont be paranoid like that...what if the thief cuts your internet connection, then you have nothing...You could go on with this type of paranoia forever...like i said, you can do both...and get high res local recording.

jesseallen

n3wb
Reaction score
There are many options like recording to a hidden nvr...dont be paranoid like that...what if the thief cuts your internet connection, then you have nothing...You could go on with this type of paranoia forever...like i said, you can do both...and get high res local recording.
Totally agree with you.

Basically I'm looking for a security system that I can set up to send the footage to a laptop. Obviously it needs to be low resolution, like 640x480, Wi-Fi to be able to sent it, motion detection also helps. Prefer a low cost. Like under $200 for two camera.
You don't have to compromise on quality. Resolution barely has any effect on your bandwidth so you must go for Full HD. Opt for a camera that supports POE, and wired cameras are more suitable for security systems. You can find good IP cameras from Honeywell and Hikvision within your budget. Check them out.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Streams are less resolution then the actual recording quality. As far as price, look at Dahua. You won't find much else under $100 per thats decent. Unless they are gonna be indoor cameras, you can get 2 HikVis Cubes on Amazon for about $108 right now.

And use BI. Best thing for it, especially with the app.