Review- New Design Tendelux 10 Watt IR illuminator.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
This is why I went with the Axton unit (or really any unit with PoE) several years ago now. Wall warts just aren’t very reliable and it makes installing the emitter a lot more troublesome since you have to plug it into mains.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An extension cable should not be an issue. If too long, it will introduce additional resistance and lower the voltage delivered to the device. On this end make up extension cords by cutting off the provided connectors and soldering these back onto the required length of new cable. Just make sure that the new length is of sufficient gauge to handle the current.

Most any 12 VDC wall wart should work to power that IR device. If it is the 10 watt unit then a power supply of at least 1 amp or 1000 Ma will work out just fine. Even a 12 volt car battery could be used if applicable.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
POE for these devices isn't fool proof either since you have to use a converter (ie the device doesn't have a network plug). I've had cheap POE to 12v power adapters go bad on me too. The power was being supplied by the switch, but the adapter stopped sending the current to the emitter. Initially I thought the emitter had gone bad, but it turned out just to be the adapter.

Last edited:

cordes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And has anyone noticed that the wall wart provided by tendelux is actually 24 volt DC...
Yes. I have since upgraded the power supply unit, and my replacement illuminator is still going strong. I'm not sure if that's a causation, but I'm inclined to think it may be.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And has anyone noticed that the wall wart provided by tendelux is actually 24 volt DC...
Looks like the Tendelux comes in two flavors. One at 12 volts and the other at 24 volts. Perhaps the newer version has the voltage requirements listed on the device. However, the 12 VDC units do not list this info on the lamp housing, but only on the wall wart.

From their product description.

"What You Get - 1x DI10 850nm Infrared Illuminator with 360-degree adjustable stand, 1x 110-240Vac to 24V DC 1A power adapter (2023 updated from 12V DC ones to avoid pressure drop and loss of brightness after using long extension cable)..."

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just re-read the product description - Input voltage 12 to 24 volts DC.

I purchased 2 of the D110 in the past 2 weeks, noticed both have 24 volt wall warts although the directions say confirm 12 volt power supply.
Was hoping they were not overdriving the diodes to gain some short term brightness.

No lettering or specs on the light itself.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Any suggestions how I can hide the black wire coming from the back of the IR Illuminator - concerned about animals chewing the insulation off

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also have the illuminar unit talked about here. That one says DC12 volt or AC 24 volt input. I have a butt load of 24 volt Ac transformers.

Has anyone tried the tendelux unit on 24 volt ac? Will it just not work or will it brick the D110?

@Parley and @StevenFromTexas What voltage are you guys running the illuminar LPR IR at?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have the illuminar unit talked about here. That one says DC12 volt or AC 24 volt input. I have a butt load of 24 volt Ac transformers.

Has anyone tried the tendelux unit on 24 volt ac? Will it just not work or will it brick the D110?

@Parley and @StevenFromTexas What voltage are you guys running the illuminar LPR IR at?
I was running the 12VDC power supplies. With the advent of the Dahua 5442 S3 cameras I found that I no longer needed the units. I had no problems when I did run them.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was running the 12VDC power supplies. With the advent of the Dahua 5442 S3 cameras I found that I no longer needed the units. I had no problems when I did run them.
Is there a thread where you talk about the newer cams and not needing the extra IR? Link? I'll be setting up LPR soon and just want to read what some of you guys are doing.