Replacement for glitch prone loryta SD22204UE-GN?

bkcorwin

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone suggest a replacement camera similar to a SD22204UE-GN? I need a small ptz dome, but I have zero faith in the one I have. It suffers from constant glitches and short dropouts in the video feed. I've updated firmware from Andy and tried every setting I can think of. I've seen the errors with this camera on both my main network and a testing network. Problem still exist.

Dahua, Hik, other loryta?

Thanks much
Brian

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Usually those glitches and dropouts are either problems with your network configuration and/or power issues and/or pushing the camera's specs too hard.

Are your cameras going through the router and can talk to the internet or are they completely isolated from the internet?

How are you powering the camera? Have you tried a POE+ injector for just this camera or the the 12V power supply to rule out power issues from your current configuration.

How about the wiring - have you tested on a confirmed good cable?

Here is the most recent thread of someone having dropouts and it turned out to be power issues, as well as some networking issues:

Last edited:

bkcorwin

n3wb
Reaction score
Wiring seems fine, I 've swapped cables back and forth. I terminated them myself and i've terminated a lot of cables in my time.

Cameras are hooked up to a switch thats hooked to a router. I've tried it with the cameras on a separate vlan and the vlan blocked from outbound traffic and also on the main vlan with cameras blocked from outbound access on an IP basis.

One thing that has been an improvement is that I disabled the sub stream? Does that indicate anything?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And you are sure power wise you are good? You have tried it with nothing else on the POE switch and it still happens?

OK an improvement without the substream could mean you are trying too much with the camera or have some mix/matched settings. What FPS and bitrate and codec are you running and do they match main and substream?

Maybe post screenshots of your camera settings showing this?

bkcorwin

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry had to post that from another computer.

Details posted above. I lowered the bitrate from the 2*** default I had it at.

The camera feeds are recorded on a milestone system, and then i am viewing the feeds on their client.

bkcorwin

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, I've done this with nothing on the switch except for the single glitchy camera. I'm gonna drop it to 720p and see what that does.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, trying lowering the FPS to 15 and see if it stops. Also, your encode mode main and substream are different, so depending on how Milestone deals with main/sub that could cause issues on that system.

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these units at higher FPS and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the unit and then it bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy or you get lost signals. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of units - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but trying to use the rated "spec" of every option available is usually not going to work well, either with a car or a camera or NVR.

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or video dropping signal or IVS missing motion or the SD card doesn't overwrite and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable and they could actual freeze frame the image to get a clean capture. The goal of these cameras are to capture a perp, not capture smooth motion. When we see the news, are they showing the video or a freeze frame screen shot? Nobody cares if it isn't butter smooth...getting the features to make an ID is the important factor. As always, YMMV...

Further, these types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. Many of my cameras are running at 12FPS.

In fact, many times if a CPU is maxing out, if it doesn't drop signal, then it will adhere to the FPS but then slow the shutter down to try to not max the CPU, which then produces a smooth blurry image..that is the video my neighbor gets who insists on running 60FPS. He gets smooth walking people but you can't freeze frame it cause every frame is a blur, meanwhile my 12FPS gets the clean freeze frame. Shutter speed is more important the FPS. We both run the same shutter speed by the way, but his camera CPU is maxing out and something gotta give when you push it that hard.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully it fixes it and saves you some money!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say get that switch off your router. Unless it's a "pro" router bandwidth can be a real problem.

How about a simple network diagram? That might help.