Remote Access after power cut

Arsie

n3wb
Reaction score
Having real problems gaining access to cameras remotely with BlueIris app after a power cut. I can see the IP and port forwarding is working but the app just won't connect at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You shouldn't port forward (but that is a whole separate issue), but I suspect the IP address changed when the power was cut.

And you have confirmed the computer and BI are up and running?

Arsie

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes both computer and blue iris running fine. I can connect when at home on my mobile device and I connect via wifi to the ip website address but as soon as switch wifi off or try and access via the app away from home I can't make a connection.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What IP address are you connecting to via wifi? It should be in the range below.

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system providing these ranges (basically any IP that starts out 10. or 172. or 192. are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

Then when off the wifi or away from home, the IP address needs to be different than one of the addresses above since you are port forwarding.

Go to what is my IP address and make a not of what it says. It should be that IP address with the : and port number to access it outside of your wifi LAN.

Arsie

n3wb
Reaction score
IP is fine and when I try and connect to to the IP from whatsmyIP which is the same as the address of my WAN on the BI App I can connect fine from a browser either at home on a pc or my mobile via web site. When I turn wifi off so to simulate being away from home, no connection.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can see the IP and port forwarding is working......
BTW, +1^^ regarding the dangers of port forwarding BUT.....

How do you know that port forwarding IS working?

Port forwarding is not required when accessing from the LAN (which works, you said).
Port forwarding IS required when accessing from the WAN (remotely) which you said does NOT work.

Last edited:

Arsie

n3wb
Reaction score
I have checked the WAN IP and port via Open Port Check tool from my mobile phone with wifi switched off and it states the port is open

Arsie

n3wb
Reaction score
When I ping the host I get four packets sent and received

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is your BI server set up as a static LAN IP? Perhaps when the power went out your internal IP's got reshuffled (if you haven't set up static) and you're actually forwarding the port to a different device? Just a thought