Recordings have modified time in the future

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all. Im trying to figure out what process is changing the modified timestamp on my recordings, here?

The file name has the correct date, the Date Created is correct. But the Date Modified is way off. Ive checked my dates/times on: BI server, Cameras, and file server.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
are you running Net time?
is your Bios set for the right year?
I just went in and under "view" i added the column. Date Created, then I unchecked the Date Modified column, and the problem column disappears.
Outta sight outta mind.
My solutions, however, maybe worse then the problems.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
are these files now, or ever been stored, on a remote system; perhaps a linux based server?

i've seen similar "weirdness" when 1) remote system has an incorrect date or 2) viewing/saving/copying files to/from non-windows OS [even when that system has correct date/time]

having everything BI local, seems to keep dates as one would expect

1651679725994.png

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the year 2038 is significant alright, im sure i remember reading that there was another Y2k kind of bug for that year (2038). Was some 32bit limitation if memory serves. One to google when i get home :)

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are these files now, or ever been stored, on a remote system; perhaps a linux based server?

i've seen similar "weirdness" when 1) remote system has an incorrect date or 2) viewing/saving/copying files to/from non-windows OS [even when that system has correct date/time]

having everything BI local, seems to keep dates as one would expect

View attachment 127157
They are stored on a linux based server (UnRaid). Which is showing correct times and updates frequently with NTP. If its time was having issues, I would have a lot of other things breaking.[/QUOTE]

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you running Net time?
is your Bios set for the right year?
I just went in and under "view" i added the column. Date Created, then I unchecked the Date Modified column, and the problem column disappears.
The Unraid server where the files are stored, uses chronyd I think. Bios is correct, server dates are correct, even the created time is correct. So something is changing the modified date. Like you said though, not sure I care. So far, no issues. Just very odd.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
perhaps its a bug in the samba version running on your NAS. I had a similar issue years ago with FreeNAS. Any files moved via SMB share would have their modified date altered. Using Rsync did not see the same issue. I believe the issue was resolved when a later samba version was added to the update train.

If you create a file manually on your windows client, check the create & modified date, then move it to the same SMB share on your NAS and view the details there, is the timestamp altered when you view it on your NAS? Also, if you look at the file directly on your NAS using the CLI with the "stat" command, do the Modify dates match what you see on your windows client?

One other question. Are these files being created on the Windows client and moved at a later date, or are they being created by the windows client and written directly to the NAS?

You could grap a PCAP of your traffic with wireshark in your PC when recreating the issue to see where the change is coming from.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
each system, linux and widows, can have the correct time; however, the format which that time is stored is different. when one system evaluates the date/time on the other system, you see weird anomalies.

use your favorite search engine to see how this (sometimes) can be accommodated. "linux time vs windows time format"