Recording to hidden NAS

Mikk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have my blue iris system working well. At the moment I am just recording to the local hard drive.

I would like to hide a NAS in the ceiling and record to that. Has anyone done this? How would I set it up?

Anyone have a recommendation of a good value NAS to use?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no different then saving it to a non hidden NAS :O)

Im a drobo fan small hot swappable HD's

You will need a outlet and pull a cable to it tho

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have my blue iris system working well. At the moment I am just recording to the local hard drive.

I would like to hide a NAS in the ceiling and record to that. Has anyone done this? How would I set it up?

Anyone have a recommendation of a good value NAS to use?
Assuming you want to record to locally and to the nas simultaneously, you can set up an identical cloned camera in blue iris and point that recording to the nas...you can make these cloned cameras hidden so that you wont have doubles on your screen.
You can also ftp to the nas, or use some software to clone your recording folder to the nas...

Mikk

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming you want to record to locally and to the nas simultaneously, you can set up an identical cloned camera in blue iris and point that recording to the nas...you can make these cloned cameras hidden so that you wont have doubles on your screen.
You can also ftp to the nas, or use some software to clone your recording folder to the nas...
That's exactly what I want to do. Cloning camera seems like a neat solution. How do I actually go about doing that? I already have a power outlet and cat5 cable up in the roof. The only other thing that worries me is will I have to go into the roof and turn the NAS on if there is a power outage?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's exactly what I want to do. Cloning camera seems like a neat solution. How do I actually go about doing that? I already have a power outlet and cat5 cable up in the roof. The only other thing that worries me is will I have to go into the roof and turn the NAS on if there is a power outage?
You sure you want to run a NAS in the hottest part of the house. In the summer that thing is going to cook

Mikk

n3wb
Reaction score
The thought of heat did cross my mind. It is the best hiding spot I have though.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The thought of heat did cross my mind. It is the best hiding spot I have though.
Be creative your throwing money out the window putting etronics on a attic. Hot cold hot cold not going to last long. There are plenty of places to hide a small drobo or what ever mad you're gonna use. Just look around you would be surprised

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just setup a second camera with the exact same settings..you will have to enter a new camera name...you can export the camera change the camera name on the current camera then import...
If you want a true backup you should simply run a cheap NVR and record 24/7 to it or if your cameras support it record direct to nas...this way its not dependent on the blue iris pc.

Mikk

n3wb
Reaction score
Just setup a second camera with the exact same settings..you will have to enter a new camera name...you can export the camera change the camera name on the current camera then import...
If you want a true backup you should simply run a cheap NVR and record 24/7 to it or if your cameras support it record direct to nas...this way its not dependent on the blue iris pc.
That's probably a better idea actually. That way, I will still have something if Blue Iris goes down. Any recommendations on a cheap nvr to use?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have four Foscam cameras
Dont know what nvr's support foscam...if the models are onvif compatible it may work..dont know if ive seen anyone do it...
You can look at synology NAS, the surveillance station supports foscam, though they charge 50 dollars per camera after the first 1 or two...

Reaction score
How about a different solution. Copy after the recording happened.

This would depend on figuring out how to trigger an action on another computer or on the BI box.
It's also kind of geeky but might work. I guess the issue is performing too many reads and writes might impact the BI's performance.

1-buy a raspberry pi $40
2-cheap external hard drive $100
3-create a network share on the BI server
4-On alert or specific times, copy the latest recordings to the external HD as a backup

You could also have the BI server copy to network storage.

A third option is to setup an old computer, a Raspberry, or a NAS with BT Sync.
https://www.getsync.com/

Very cool product.