Recommended VLAN routers in 2023

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing my Asus RX-86u with a router that has built in VLAN support. I know mine can do it with Merlin firmware, but I'd prefer to use the router's stock firmware and would really like a router that can setup VLANs with a gui versus a command line interface only.

I am looking at the Asus RX-88u, but I think it is command line only. Also looking at the UDM router.

Any others I should be looking at?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I run pfSense plus on a Topton PC from aliexpress with 2.5 Gbps interfaces and a Pentium N6005 CPU.

opnSense is a fork of pfSense from several years ago, and both are still being actively developed. I consider them functionally nearly equal, although opnSense is still very much an open-source project while pfSense is starting to go the commercial/proprietary route which does not bode well for home users in the next 10+ years.

Reaction score
I am partial towards Ubiquiti line of products for small business / advanced home use, especially their ecosystem of AP's and managed switches (I have the 48 port managed switch and their dinky but so cool 6 port manage switches). However, they did raise some yellow flags in regards to their deployment of the UDM router (no real VPN, no POE ports, no true gigabyte WAN, etc). But the company does toss out firmware updates quite often to make their products better. There is a new UDR router coming out in a couple months that addresses the issues from the original UDM router. I'm waiting on that for my work office.
I would opt out of curiousity for PFsense/Opnsense as I've never heard anything negative about it.

** hmph...I stand corrected. The UDR is already out. WiFi6, 2 POE ports, etc. Odd....I thought something big was coming out this April so I thought it was a UDR. Maybe UDR v2 **

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking about buying Asus RX-88u. Have you bought it? Is it worth buying?
I ended up getting a Dream Machine Pro, and I'm so glad I did. The amount of configuration that can be done is outstanding. Setting up vlans, routing and firewall rules, and pretty much all settings is very straightforward. I was also looking at the Synology routers, but they looked more geared toward basic home users. I can't comment on whether they could have done what I needed, though. Maybe they can. They do get good reviews. I needed to be able to set very specific firewall rules between networks in certain directions only, and the UDM does it perfectly.

One other benefit I've found is that I no longer have dhcp issues with my Starlink internet. Every once in a while, during a long Starlink update, my Asus router would drop the wan ip lease, then pick up a 192.168.100.x lease from the dish and hold on to it, even after the dish comes back online. It has to do with how Starlink does their dhcp. I had to unplug/replug the wan cable to get the Asus to get a correct ip again. I eventually put a dumb switch on the wan side, power cycled by home automation when the internet went down. With the UDM, it doesn't have this problem. I know this issue only applies to Starlink users.

I highly recommend Ubiquiti equipment. Enterprise gear at home use prices.

Reaction score
I ended up getting a Dream Machine Pro, and I'm so glad I did. The amount of configuration that can be done is outstanding. Setting up vlans, routing and firewall rules, and pretty much all settings is very straightforward. I was also looking at the Synology routers, but they looked more geared toward basic home users. I can't comment on whether they could have done what I needed, though. Maybe they can. They do get good reviews. I needed to be able to set very specific firewall rules between networks in certain directions only, and the UDM does it perfectly.

One other benefit I've found is that I no longer have dhcp issues with my Starlink internet. Every once in a while, during a long Starlink update, my Asus router would drop the wan ip lease, then pick up a 192.168.100.x lease from the dish and hold on to it, even after the dish comes back online. It has to do with how Starlink does their dhcp. I had to unplug/replug the wan cable to get the Asus to get a correct ip again. I eventually put a dumb switch on the wan side, power cycled by home automation when the internet went down. With the UDM, it doesn't have this problem. I know this issue only applies to Starlink users.

did you try out the built in VPN service? comes in super handy.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
did you try out the built in VPN service? comes in super handy.
I have not. I can't use a vpn: Starlink uses cgnat, so I don't have a public ip address that is routable from the internet. I currently use zerotier for remote viewing of cameras, which works pretty good.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pfsense/Opnsense. Once you get there you'll wonder why you messed around with consumer-level routers for so long.
I love my PFSense machine but the learning curve is relatively steep and screwing around with a router and losing internet connection (and thus your link to all of the outside world's answers) is scary sometimes haha

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

The Synology routers can do all of that and more. Has better threat management and parental controls as well. Much easier to setup vlans than on ubiquiti, particularly for a novice. You can also set granular rules in the firewall.
You are correct, the router "looks" like its designed for a home user/gamer but it is much more than that. They could have put it in a rack amount or metal case and charge another 200 bucks for it...the ui is a gem.