Recommended solutions for BlueIris "cloud" storage?

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a simple 3 camera setup with BO on a Win server box. I am afraid that a burglar could find the tower and take (with video alert).
Are there recommend simple solutions?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your router and ISP would probably not like the constant non-buffered video being sent. You would be surprised how quickly that data adds up.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more cameras you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

And don't mistake these cameras for consumer cameras like Ring that are cloud based - they highly compress the video and are not streaming 24/7.

Your best bets are to put SD cards in the cameras (if they have the slot), hide the system or a drive, or email alert images out.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They probably won't be looking for the tower anyway since they will likely look for high value easy to carry items and they won't have any idea that the tower is used for cameras.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess i could get a cable lock kit to further slow down removal?
Just not sure whether mini-towers have a lock receiver like laptops do? Like a lenovo ts140 or Dell XPS mini tower?