recently joined - looking forward to much needed help

indy_chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, I've recently joined ipcamtalk in search of guidance and suggestions on an installation I will soon embark on. At this time, I have no hardware at all. Below are my intentions and my skillset.

• I would like to have a minimum of 4 cameras on the outside of my home, I will be installing and they will be hard wired. I've seen some comments (although very few) about connectivity and latency problems with some of the wireless units, so homerunning some cat5/6 cable won't be a problem AND I've not read any connectivity problems with the cameras that are POE, unless the RJ45 end of the cable has been improperly wired or a bad crimp.
  • I custom build my own desk tops for family and myself. I'm due for another build, so I'd like some suggestions on hardware/software for my new build.
  • I prefer to not have a recurring charge on operating software or 3rd party monitoring. I'm leaning toward keeping the cameras off the "grid" in terms of networking to the web. It's not important to me to check the cameras with my smart phone or from another computer. My goal is to deter and/or detect/identify, it's not important to me to view things real time.
  • I do not intend to have a 3rd party surveil the cameras, I would like to capture and record the data for myself and if something warranted showing authorities, then I would handle it that way.
  • I have no problem spending a little more on quality cameras with better than average imagery and resolution.
  • The cameras will not be looking over a large area, like a 4000 square foot home on 5 acres. It will be substantially smaller than that mainly focusing on driveway, front door and front/back yard.
I work in the IT/Telecom arena, so I feel comfortable with the wiring and installation of the cameras. I'm also comfortable with associated networking and computer hardware/software related items.

I'm not certain what else to add at this point in terms of wants or desires, so please ask if you need further information.

Thank you

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, I've recently joined ipcamtalk in search of guidance and suggestions on an installation I will soon embark on. At this time, I have no hardware at all. Below are my intentions and my skillset.

• I would like to have a minimum of 4 cameras on the outside of my home, I will be installing and they will be hard wired. I've seen some comments (although very few) about connectivity and latency problems with some of the wireless units, so homerunning some cat5/6 cable won't be a problem AND I've not read any connectivity problems with the cameras that are POE, unless the RJ45 end of the cable has been improperly wired or a bad crimp.
  • I custom build my own desk tops for family and myself. I'm due for another build, so I'd like some suggestions on hardware/software for my new build.
  • I prefer to not have a recurring charge on operating software or 3rd party monitoring. I'm leaning toward keeping the cameras off the "grid" in terms of networking to the web. It's not important to me to check the cameras with my smart phone or from another computer. My goal is to deter and/or detect/identify, it's not important to me to view things real time.
  • I do not intend to have a 3rd party surveil the cameras, I would like to capture and record the data for myself and if something warranted showing authorities, then I would handle it that way.
  • I have no problem spending a little more on quality cameras with better than average imagery and resolution.
  • The cameras will not be looking over a large area, like a 4000 square foot home on 5 acres. It will be substantially smaller than that mainly focusing on driveway, front door and front/back yard.
I work in the IT/Telecom arena, so I feel comfortable with the wiring and installation of the cameras. I'm also comfortable with associated networking and computer hardware/software related items.

I'm not certain what else to add at this point in terms of wants or desires, so please ask if you need further information.

Thank you
Welcome @indy_chuck

Pick up one varifocal 4MP 1/1.8" sensor camera, a small PoE switch, a length of cat5e/6 cable and start to play around with testing it and testing potential camera positions.

Normally we end up with a couple more cameras than we first imagined.

indy_chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @indy_chuck

Pick up one varifocal 4MP 1/1.8" sensor camera, a small PoE switch, a length of cat5e/6 cable and start to play around with testing it and testing potential camera positions.

Normally we end up with a couple more cameras than we first imagined.
Thank you, I like the thought of breaking it down with a very basic “system” for starters.

Are there preferred POE switches that have a low failure rate?

Also, I’ve been suggested this camera and it does appear, based on its capabilities, to be a real good one.
What dictates motion detection, the camera or its operating software?
Thank you