Rackmount BI system where to buy

Reaction score
I have a new build using Dahua cameras and debating on a Dahua NVR versus a Blue Iris configuration. I will have a rack mount cabinet in the utility room that I'll have the Ubiquity POE switch among a few other devices moutned. For this purpose, if I go the BI route then I would prefer a 1U/2U/3U chasis type configuration.

I've read on here that many people purchase offlease servers but i'm not entirely sure if there is a good "outlet" store for these or if it means combing through endless eBay listings of servers with various conditions, parts, rails, age, etc.

I'm not opposed to new, but at the same time I'm not sure about this market and if new is $2000 and used is $500 then I would prefer used and maybe buy two so that I have one as a backup!

I'll be powering 20 to 24 Dahua IP cameras using the equipment so uptime is important to me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the Blue Iris camp talking to you LOL!

Since you are asking...Consider a Blue Iris/computer combo as an NVR. Keep in mind an NVR is a stripped down computer after all....and isn't true plug-n-play like people believe. You still have to dial the cameras into your setting. Once you do that, might as well go with something that has the best chance of working with many different camera brands. And I have found Blue Iris to be more robust and easier than an NVR. As always, YMMV...

When I was looking at NVRs to upgrade from my then current setup, once I realized that not all NVRs are created equal, and once I priced out a good one to run my proposed setup, it was cheaper to buy a refurbished computer than an NVR. You don't need to buy components and build one.

A 4th generation CPU is more than sufficient. Consider a refurbished unit from ebay or Amazon or MicroCenter for example. Ebay, Amazon, Microcenter, etc. all sell Windows authorized refurbished units. But you could purchase one that isn't an authorized refurbished unit as well and buy one from a seller that upgraded or purchased bulk computers off of a lease but didn't go through a refurbished checklist.

Many of these refurbished computers are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that. A member here just last month found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive.

Another member here is running 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%.

Look here as they have links for you: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

Blue Iris has a demo, so give it a try on an existing computer with one camera.

You simply disable all Windows updates and uptime will be spot on.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV...

Reaction score
you can get rackmount server cabinets just about anywhere from ebay to amazon. Can go the DIY computer part route yourself such as I did. Granted, I went that route because I had existing parts I could easily migrate over.

Reaction score
Here is a couple of posts that discuss rack mount servers for BI:

$5,000 budget for Car Wash - Please help me spend it

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I bought a 2U shelf and stuck it in my rack. Holds my HP Elitedesk just fine! (Actually takes up 3U and leaves some space on the side). Although I have occasionally looked at rack mount chassis so I have more drive space inside. Just haven't found one that screams "buy me" yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk