Quick Question For A Practice On BI

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm aiming to build a BI system as a project for my mum.
Could I help educate myself with the following?

I have a shop that used to have cctv before dvr broke and the cameras were not compatible with any new dvr.

In that shop, I have existing cat 5 running to certain camera locations from a switch in the serving area.

The switch runs back to an old office pc via cat 5.
The office pc gets used for 10 mins a day of light office work. PC is 5/6 yrs old but was top end dell back then. At best i3 but I'm not there to check tonight, defo not i5.

There is no internet on site either.

My question is could I run BI on this PC without any internet and just use it as a practice system which would actually serve a basic function of providing cctv?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm aiming to build a BI system as a project for my mum.
Could I help educate myself with the following?

I have a shop that used to have cctv before dvr broke and the cameras were not compatible with any new dvr.

In that shop, I have existing cat 5 running to certain camera locations from a switch in the serving area.

The switch runs back to an old office pc via cat 5.
The office pc gets used for 10 mins a day of light office work. PC is 5/6 yrs old but was top end dell back then. At best i3 but I'm not there to check tonight, defo not i5.

There is no internet on site either.

My question is could I run BI on this PC without any internet and just use it as a practice system which would actually serve a basic function of providing cctv?

Most likely you can. BI doesn't care if you have internet or not. 15 day trial of BI is free.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most likely you can. BI doesn't care if you have internet or not. 15 day trial of BI is free.
Thanks looney,

I've pictured the specs of my pc. I'm sure this would work as a tester for one or two cameras wouldn't it?

Going forward to my eventual build, is it worth upgrading this old pc or is it more economical to build from scratch or to buy off the shelf A new pc?

One of my mates said he'd help me build one but these young ones are sometimes more keen than experienced (says the old fart).

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy used from eBay. I just got a few systems $250-$350 US complete with Win10pro license.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Frank, you link was very useful. I looked through eBay several times before getting frustrated and quitting. This is mainly because of my inadequacies in pc jargon.

I'm fairly sure an i5 would do but not certain. 8gb ram also.

Good as that link is, someone could improve it by defining the number of cameras at say 15fps (or ideal fps rates as we all want an ideal playback dont we) could be managed by the varying factors.
Currently there are no hard and fast rules.

I'll keep looking out on eBay but they seem to be slightly on the expensive side in the UK and for some reason eBay USA keeps offering what I search for at a fair price but that's not really sensible as faults are too far away to deal with.

Anyhow, thanks for your help so far, it is appreciated:)

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
This may help: I'm planning for definitely 8, maybe 12, cameras in the 2-4 megapixel range. I selected an i5-6500 based PC, with 8 GB RAM and a 250GB solid state drive for the OS. System registered with Windows 10 Pro built in. In a small form factor HP chassis (room for the SSD and two regular hard drives). It cost me $350 US shipped.

I could have saved $50 by getting a variant with i5-6400. But a touch more speed is a good thing.

If you look for something local with similar specs you will be fine.

Even something like i5-4670 would be enough for <8 cams at 1080p resolution.

Good luck and let us know what you get. Don't feel rget to budget for the PoE switch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's great Frank, yoy have a very similar number of cameras as well as anticipated specs of 2-4mp.
Seen as I haven't chosen cameras, I keep thinking 2-4mp would be good.

I'm thinking the best thing at this stage is to just be sure the pc covers any potential design improvements. However I don't see me using 12 cameras in the final build, I might.

I'll have another search another night and thanks again:)

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bump

Does anybody know if this pc would cope with 10-12 2-4mp cameras at a good frame frate?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Frank, I'll see if I can do a deal on it:)