Quick and easy cameras

ccj64

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I have an IT background, not a security background. However I took over a building that was left with 18 foscam low res cameras. So I threw up a Blue iris server to use the cameras. Worked but was real slow, so went out and upgraded to a Dell XPS i7 machine and cpu is down to about 7% with nothing recording and interface open (cool). I then added 2 HD cameras and all is well, love the HD cameras. I now have a perspective client who wants a cameras system like it. The problem is they are particular when it comes to "Looks", he wants only white cameras. So given the requirements of white, HD, POE both inside and outside, I've found Foscam can't fit this bill from a camera perspective. I still would like to use Blue iris, so I'm looking for camera makes/models that would work well. Would like to stick with one manufacturer, with the requirements still being white, indoor and outdoor, HD and POE. Thanks!

ccj64

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. They definitely have white ones and are POE. I do have a hikvision camera, but no current POE switch to test it on, my current hikvision is being tested on a Hikvision NVR I'm testing. It works ok, but I like the flexibility of Blue Iris over the Hikvision NVR. I ordered a POE switch can test your recommendation soon. Thanks.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi ccj64

As a test, or maybe even permanently for some of the cams, you can use a 12v psu and connect the camera to a non poe switch.

BI is great (well 3.66 is :eek:) but nothing quite like an NVR as well for a back up plan, lol

ccj64

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi DaveP, thanks again. I ended up getting a POE switch and 2 hikvision 1.3mp cameras, one bullet and one dome, put Bue Iris on my laptop and the demo to the client went well and we will move forward with that configuration. Well, except for getting an i7 as the server.