questions about IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HFW5231E-Z/Z5/Z12

Amp Park

n3wb
Reaction score
Folks,

Thanks to the fine folks who responded and pointed me into the right direction on the other thread, I have decided to build my own system using Dahua and Blue Iris instead of buying Lorex 4k system from Costco. I have narrowed down to HDW5231R-ZE turret and HFW5231E-Z/Z5/Z12 bullet but have few questions. Aesthetically is turret better than bullet?

I need 5 cameras and they all have to be wall mounted. For the rear of the house (not exactly the yard), I am definitely considering bullet because i need long 100+ ft narrow yard to watch so something like HFW5231E-Z5 or Z12. I don't mind turret with the recommended Wall mount (PFB203W) on top of garage doors which is a side entrance garage (left of the picture) and other side where I have an actual yard - side yard (right side of the picture). But there is one place on the outside of the house which is front of the house near main main entry door - a red dot where we have Cat6 cable hanging I want to avoid the turret wall mount and if possible mount the camera without the mount on the wall but sideways to keep low profile. I have attached a picture with rough drawing of camera on side ways and vertical wall for reference and pointed the exact location on the front pic of the house. Can I mount the turret camera that way?

For HFW5231E-Z5 or Z12 can I use Blue Iris to zoom in and out the vari focal lens or do I need any special software or is it hardware only thing and can only be used during initial setup?

As you can see in the picture my windows, fascia, soffit, gutters, leaders and all are black so prefer black cameras, how hard or easy to paint turret and bullet camera using good quality spray paint to match rest of the house?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Turrets are less prone to attracting spiders and insects to the IR which, in turn, can result in false triggers. They're not immune to it, just a lot less plagued by it. If you use separate IR illuminators rather than the built-in IR in either a bullet or a turret that problem can be, basically, totally eliminated. After having mostly bullets and trying a turret, I'm sticking with turrets.

Amp Park

n3wb
Reaction score
Turrets are less prone to attracting spiders and insects to the IR which, in turn, can result in false triggers. They're not immune to it, just a lot less plagued by it. If you use separate IR illuminators rather than the built-in IR in either a bullet or a turret that problem can be, basically, totally eliminated. After having mostly bullets and trying a turret, I'm sticking with turrets.
Thanks Awsum140. I definitely like the look of new Turret - HDW5231R-ZE.

Amp Park

n3wb
Reaction score
My main concern is if i can mount the HDW5231R-ZE turret sideways without the wall mount accessory or any junction boxes for clean low profile look and if lens can be rotated. Also if you look at the picture my Cat6 cable is only have 6-8 inches away from the door frame so it is not exactly on the edge of the wall I can see a long bullet would work better but we be bit obstructive by turret I can get low profile look, possibly but concerned if the wide angle of the turret is going to pickup too much side walls unless I bring the camera out few inches.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Folks,

Thanks to the fine folks who responded and pointed me into the right direction on the other thread, I have decided to build my own system using Dahua and Blue Iris instead of buying Lorex 4k system from Costco. I have narrowed down to HDW5231R-ZE turret and HFW5231E-Z/Z5/Z12 bullet but have few questions. Aesthetically is turret better than bullet?

I need 5 cameras and they all have to be wall mounted. For the rear of the house (not exactly the yard), I am definitely considering bullet because i need long 100+ ft narrow yard to watch so something like HFW5231E-Z5 or Z12. I don't mind turret with the recommended Wall mount (PFB203W) on top of garage doors which is a side entrance garage (left of the picture) and other side where I have an actual yard - side yard (right side of the picture). But there is one place on the outside of the house which is front of the house near main main entry door - a red dot where we have Cat6 cable hanging I want to avoid the turret wall mount and if possible mount the camera without the mount on the wall but sideways to keep low profile. I have attached a picture with rough drawing of camera on side ways and vertical wall for reference and pointed the exact location on the front pic of the house. Can I mount the turret camera that way?

For HFW5231E-Z5 or Z12 can I use Blue Iris to zoom in and out the vari focal lens or do I need any special software or is it hardware only thing and can only be used during initial setup?

As you can see in the picture my windows, fascia, soffit, gutters, leaders and all are black so prefer black cameras, how hard or easy to paint turret and bullet camera using good quality spray paint to match rest of the house?
Yes, BI can control the zoom on the Varifocals. They are not designed to be used continously.
You might like the Aliexpress.com : Buy New arrival 2MP Starlight IR Mini Dome Network camera IPC HDBW4231F AS,free DHL shipping from Reliable Surveillance Cameras suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd at the front door location.
If you can get a junction box recessed in the wall and mount it that way.