Question: wifi cam and wifi receivers

Ponypoor

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a bit of a complicated system set up for the Stables so I can keep an eye on horses (and naughty kids). The current setup is as follows:
  • One PTZ Dahua POE cam > POE Switch > Transmitter on barn side > Receiver on house side > D-link Power line (just because I am too lazy to run cable) > router.
  • 4 Swann wifi cams > wifi NVR > POE Switch > Transmitter on barn side > Receiver on house side > D-link Power line (just because I am too lazy to run cable) > router.
All works stellar - love being able to check out the horses at 2am rather than traipsing out there in person,

I do not like the NVR at the Stables, I want to move it to the house so I want to connect the Swann wifi cams to a wifi receiver and the run that through the POE Switch (etc and so on)
EG: Swann Cams > Wifi Receiver (want to add this) > POE Switch > Transmitter on barn side > Receiver on house side > D-link Power line (just because I am too lazy to run cable) > NVR > router

So: 1) is there a specific thing to connect the Swann cams to (wifi receiver) or will any wifi receiver work, 2) will the NVR at the house be feasible? I don't see why not.... Thoughts?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 4 locations linked by ubiquity point to point links. They are reliable, and very easy to set up.
Hardest part is pointing the antennas at each other.
This will give you one network at both buildings, so you can put your NVR at the house.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree on the Ubiquiti gear. I have a pair Nanobeams with a switch linked to the Nanobeams to supply POE for downstream cameras. Works great.

Ponypoor

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes that is what I have going from the barn to the house (transmitter/receiver).

My cameras are WIFI - the signal is received by the WIFI NVR. The NVR is connected to my POE switch which is connected to the 'wireless' transmitter reciever pair (like this ubiquiti set).

What I want to do is place the NVR at the house BUT I need to have the WIFI cameras' signals to be 'collected' at the barn end, THEN sent over that 'ubiquiti' (or in my case whatever brand I have) to the house and thus to the NVR.

So my questions is: What can I use in place of the NVR (in the barn) to collect the wifi signal from the cams and send it on down the line.

It would be an easy matter if ALL the cams were POE without the use of the NVR like my Dahua, truth be told I never use the NVR, it is just being used as a 'link' in the network chain.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Any old pc will work. I use raspberry Pi at a couple places, connect back to the NVR or Blue Iris if you have it.

Ponypoor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies, got it figured out. FYI still enjoying those Swann cams - even with my crappy 'country' internet they work great, so awesome to be able to check on the horses at 03:00hrs from the house and not have to be attacked by mosquitoes going to the barn!