Question on exporting clips

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find any obvious answer...

When I open BI and look at the list of alerts (video clips) on the right, often I want to export a clip so I double click it, right click, choose export, and I always have to manually move the red and green arrows to the start and end of that clip, else it tries to save every clip in the list.

Why doesn't it automatically set the red and green arrows to the start and end of the clip you clicked on? Why do I have to do it manually when it already knows the clip I want? Is there some way to do that and save me the time of manually marking the start and stop times and I just missed how to access that feature?

Thanks,
Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find any obvious answer...

When I open BI and look at the list of alerts (video clips) on the right, often I want to export a clip so I double click it, right click, choose export, and I always have to manually move the red and green arrows to the start and end of that clip, else it tries to save every clip in the list.

Why doesn't it automatically set the red and green arrows to the start and end of the clip you clicked on? Why do I have to do it manually when it already knows the clip I want? Is there some way to do that and save me the time of manually marking the start and stop times and I just missed how to access that feature?

Thanks,
Mike
It should only export the clip you are viewing. Are you clicking on a clip or alert. When you click on an alert it will bring up the entire clip which can be large if you are using combine and cut.

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It should only export the clip you are viewing. Are you clicking on a clip or alert. When you click on an alert it will bring up the entire clip which can be large if you are using combine and cut.
I'm looking at the main UI where it has a vertical thumbnail scroller on the right that says "Clips (3048)" at the top and I have "Alerts" selected in the box underneath. I keep that view because with that, I can see all my alerts for the day and double click any of the thumbnails to see that specific alert. What I want to do is be able to right click on one of those (say 10 second) alerts and export just that one alert as an AVI file. I might see something suspicious and I want to save that alert as an AVI for archiving, send it to someone to review, etc.. The only way I can find to do it is to double click the alert and then it opens a timeline with clips that are several hours long. Then I manually have to drag the green and red arrows to where the thumbtack is on the position slider and try to get only that one clip. Does it really have to be that tedious? It knows which alert I double clicked on so why can't it automatically move the red and green arrows accordingly so that I can just click save and get the alert that I clicked (instead of a 3-7 hour long AVI file)?

Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the main UI where it has a vertical thumbnail scroller on the right that says "Clips (3048)" at the top and I have "Alerts" selected in the box underneath. I keep that view because with that, I can see all my alerts for the day and double click any of the thumbnails to see that specific alert. What I want to do is be able to right click on one of those (say 10 second) alerts and export just that one alert as an AVI file. I might see something suspicious and I want to save that alert as an AVI for archiving, send it to someone to review, etc.. The only way I can find to do it is to double click the alert and then it opens a timeline with clips that are several hours long. Then I manually have to drag the green and red arrows to where the thumbtack is on the position slider and try to get only that one clip. Does it really have to be that tedious? It knows which alert I double clicked on so why can't it automatically move the red and green arrows accordingly so that I can just click save and get the alert that I clicked (instead of a 3-7 hour long AVI file)?

Mike
This is because you have combine and cut set. If you disable combine and cut you should effectively have that function. Alerts are only pointers to a clips .
You can ask the developer for the function you are looking for.

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is because you have combine and cut set. If you disable combine and cut you should effectively have that function. Alerts are only pointers to a clips .
You can ask the developer for the function you are looking for.
Thank you! That did it! I went to each camera and unchecked that option and now it works as I would expect. Still would be a nice feature though if, when that option IS checked, the red/green arrows would auto-adjust to the start/end of the chosen alert.

Mike

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still would be a nice feature though if, when that option IS checked, the red/green arrows would auto-adjust to the start/end of the chosen alert.

Mike
I may be wrong, but I understand the alerts to be something like bookmarks that just link to a certain point within a clip. If my understanding is correct, the alert really has no "start/end" points - just a point. However, I would like to see the functionality you describe and it could probably be done with some development work.