Question about Substream image quality, bitrate

ktiz81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I've searched a ton over the last couple weeks, and played with so many settings trying to troubleshoot things one my own, however, I just can't seem to get things tuned the right way.

I'm at the point that my mainstream is looking good, especially during the day right now (i'm trying to fine tune one at a time). However, my substream, which I am continiously recording, looks bad (although I have gotten it to look better by increasing bit rate).

One of my main questions, which this may flow into others as it is answered, is the first screenshot is of my settings in the Camera GUI, and then the second is of the streams in Blue Iris. Why is the bitrate in the GUI set so high, but that does not translate over to Blue Iris?

Attachments

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
D1 resolution is so low that the video will not look good if you are comparing with your main of 4mp. I always use sub2 with 1080p. I see you have a drop down so you should also have sub2 with 1080p resolution for your sub. Also for the bitrate, I believe the in camera is bits and in BI is bytes. 1 byte = 8 bits

Last edited:

ktiz81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
D1 resolution is so low that the video will not look good if you are comparing with your main of 4mp. I always use sub2 with 1080p. I see you have a drop down so you should also have sub2 with 1080p resolution for your sub. Also for the bitrate, I believe the in camera is bits and in BI is bytes. 1 byte = 8 bits
Ok, thank you. When I set up the sub to record, most instructions I had seen said to set it to the D1, but that does make sense that it would be so much lower quality that it wouldn't look good period. Right now continuous recording space is not a problem, as I just have one camera as I am trying to learn.

AzN_NiNjA01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have all 16 cams running on sub2 1080p and they look pretty great. Try it out if storage is not a issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It comes down to your needs, your hardware, number of cameras, and your own eyes and viewing platform.

D1 can certainly work in many situations. All of mine are D1 and the AI works great with it.

ktiz81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It comes down to your needs, your hardware, number of cameras, and your own eyes and viewing platform.

D1 can certainly work in many situations. All of mine are D1 and the AI works great with it.

d1 was working great for AI, I was not having issues getting the triggers I wanted with D1, it was merely just I didn't like sitting down and it looking bad...which I know...we aren't making movies. When i would click into alerts and it would switch over to the alert with the high res stream (it was very obvious when it switched), I would get the ID that I'm looking for out of that camera, just not on the sub, but I have to remember I am not using the sub for that ID.