Purchasing an End of Life Dahua NVR

eitch_

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been helping a friend pick out parts for a small business, not-too-expensive 5 camera NVR setup, and we were considering the Dahua NVR4208-8P-4KS2 or the WizSense NVR4208-8P-I to go along with some 4MP Starlight turret cameras, since those about match up with his price expectations.

I poked around this forum a bit, and quickly found out that the 4208-8P-I has apparently reached EOL status. Since he seems quite taken with the AI features (on paper), i would greatly appreciate any input you could offer on the features of the regular 4208 vs. the 4208-I, whether or not EOL is a big hindrance on a setup not connected to the internet, and if we should maybe consider something like the NVR2208-8P-I if it turns out he's dead set on a WizSense unit.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies if my grammar or tone in writing is a bit out of the ordinary, english isn't my first language.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with EOL units.

Keep in mind that for AI to work on the NVR, it needs to be matched with cameras capable of doing AI as well, and from the same manufacturer to ensure compatibility. Other manufacturers may work, but they may not. So an AI NVR without AI cameras means AI will not work. But that does give you the flexibility to then add AI cameras in the future.

Another approach is that even if the EOL NVR will not "process" AI and allow you to search by AI features, if you have an AI camera and set up AI perimeters in the camera itself, you can get the non AI NVR to only trigger and record events that are triggered by the AI camera.

eitch_

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks!

Keep in mind that for AI to work on the NVR, it needs to be matched with cameras capable of doing AI as well, and from the same manufacturer to ensure compatibility. Other manufacturers may work, but they may not.
It was my underatanding that the Dahua Wiz-series NVRs can handle AI functions from a limited number of inputs directly from the video stream, so (in my reasoning) those should work with any camera (?) I'll go over the spec sheets again though, thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using 4MP and 8MP cameras make sure you do not exceed the processing power of the NVR. Look at the record rate and playback rate. Some of the older machines are designed for 2MP camera. They may say 4MP but only on a few channels, not all.

I normally recommend buying up one NVR from what you think you will need , so if you think you need an 8 channel NVR get a 16 channel.