Proper way do delete files for more space?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK Time to upgrade to latest version. I'm going to sort out the drive capacity and deletions first.
When moving around the files and changing default paths should I run the windows drive defragmenter? And also the BI db repair\rebuild option?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't defrag the SSD drive. I wouldn't bother running it on the 8TB drive either, not worth the time. It would be worth re-formatting that drive with 1024 blocks as SouthernYankee says.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dumb question but can you reformat it to 1024 without literally reformatting\erasing the drive and reloading Windows and all the apps etc?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You only want to do the reformat on the 8tb drive your storage drive for Bllue Iris, and that drive should not hold anything except for the BI recordings.

But yes, if you did reformat a drive with anything on it Windows etc, they'd be gone.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got it.
I went to the BI update page and it is at Ver 5.4.3.5. Why did you specifically suggest 5.3.9.17 instead?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I walked through all of these mods, (have not upgraded version yet) and basically the only one that made much of any difference was adding the sub stream. I didn't really know how to do that so I just copied the main stream and changed the number from 0 to 1 and that seemed to work. These were all Dahua cameras, some set up by BI as a Dahua and some as generic so I had two different paths.
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif and channel={CAMNO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif
Changed to
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif and channel={CAMNO}&subtype=1&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

Does that look right? Anything else in the string need to change?

It seemed to work and CPU dropped from 79-99% down to 25%!! :clap:
Still using almost 4GB memory though?! :idk:

I have a couple of older other brand cameras, (American Dynamics) ...no idea what the sub-stream string should be. Is there a list of substrings by mfg out there somewhere?
I tried downloading and running that ONVIF manager mentioned above that will supposedly find and show all kinds of info about each camera on your network but it doesn't do anything and no instructions on how to work it...Their web site was in Russian.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks right. The substream is one of the biggest CPU drop optimizations.

What does the American Dynamics mainstream look like? For most cams it is simply changing the 0 to 1, but there are a few that just has a \ or nothing and then you are screwed with getting the substream. I have a few offbrand cameras that I cannot figure out how to get the substream and the newest versions of BI couldn't either. Some cams are just that way.

Try a reboot of your computer now and see if that drops the RAM.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
AD (Illustra 825i fisheye) mainstream is simply this: /StreamId=1

It has on-board de-warping up to 5 views so there is also a 2-5 but they are all listed in the camera GUI as individual main streams and each has an option to select to turn on a sub stream in each view.
I'm still googling around.

1619044484455.png

Reboot no RAM save. Goes right back up there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, with that I would then try /Streamid=2

So the RAM goes right back and then holds steady or is it creeping up? Could be a driver conflict.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did. It just showed the 2nd main stream de-warped view as expected, not a sub of the main (round fisheye) view.
Selecting Streamid=2 through 5 provides a main stream for the 5 available de-warped mainstream views the camera puts out, each of which have a selection to turn on a substream for each, (see picture).

I havent checked to see how fast it went back up, (It hangs around 3.6G) but after rebooting it was back at that number by the time I looked at within a minute or so.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
put New on the WD purp drive, db on ssd ditch stored. People misread/misunderstand where Blue iris says "New on local fast storage". Local meaning onboard sata connector. spinning rust/ like wd purp 8TB. my system got more responsvie when i put the Db on the SSd
They should word that differently to New folder on local onboard Surveillance drive.

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, that was one of the the recommended adjustments I did earlier. I've not really paid attention to just how much RAM BI uses normally w my 8-10 cameras but almost 4GB seems like a lot to me....maybe it's normal.
Basically every cam now is on substream or low res main stream. That's what did the most to knock down the CPU cycles down to it looks like28-305 when the ap is open full screen . But then again you hear about people saying they have 20+ cams at 25% CPU.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest checking through the optimization wiki again and ensure you haven't done something that you think would lower CPU and actually did the opposite.

As an example, many come here complaining about their high CPU yet they don't do direct to disc and then try to re-encode and that causes more CPU than direct to disc with BVR formatting.

I am one of those systems with way more cameras than you on a way older system running at 15% CPU and 2.5GB RAM. I followed every optimization wiki to get it to that point.

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I installed a new SSD on my computer today, so fresh windows, fresh BI and started to read this post.

C: SSD 120G - for now only Win 10 Pro + BI 5.4.4.1
D: WD Purple 4TB

I think I did something wrong please see below, D drive show -2.12T

1619653673928.png
1619653702691.png
1619653920386.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Start over on the D drive, reformat it. Then add the New and stored folder. The new folder should be about 3400GB .
You have other files on the D drive.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Start over on the D drive, reformat it. Then add the New and stored folder. The new folder should be about 3400GB .
You have other files on the D drive.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Thank you very much!
1619699148327.png