Problem with 2 router configuration.

jcrober

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi.
  1. My setup has a "main" router (192.168.1.1) that serves users in our church. It's the one that is connected to the cable modem as well.
  2. I've installed a "BlueIris" router hooked into the main router - the "main" router assigns the "BlueIris" router an IP of 192.168.1.133 and then it calls itself 192.168.2.1. I have 10 cameras hooked into this router.
  3. The Blue Iris software is running on a PC that is connected to the "BLueIris" router and gets IP address 192.168.2.100. I'm very please with the software.
  4. I've port-forwarded port 81 on the "main" router to 192.168.1.133, and also port-forwarded port 81 on the "BlueIris" router to 192.168.2.100.
  5. The Blue Iris software gives me 2 IP addresses to use to access its web server - one is from outside our church and the other from our LAN.
  6. The outside works great. I can access the Blue Iris web server from my house, and even when we're in the church on the LAN or WAN - regardless of which router I'm attached to.
  7. But I cannot access the Blue Iris web server from the 192.168.2.100:81 address. It can't find the IP address. I'm thinking it's not a port-forwarding issue but something like the DNS for the external address that's missing for the 192.168.2.100 address.
  8. I don't want to use the "external" IP address when we're in the church 'cause that traffic goes out to our ISP then back in again and will slow everything down.
  9. Anybody have any suggestions as to how I can this working?
Thank you,
John

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@jcrober Welcome to the forum. Why are you using a separate router? Even if you wish to use the second router, disable dhcp and have the first router assign all ip address. This will make things less complicated.
Also note that if you are on your local network and use an external ip address, all traffic will remain local (your router will know whats going on) so you have no worries there.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you are trying to connect to the BI internal address (192.168.2.100:81) is your device on the same network? The device will need to be a part of the same ip range in order to use the internal address. If you are on the 192.168.1.1 network then the BI server will need to be accessed from the outside URL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you trying to keep the networks seperate or worried about address space?

jcrober

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought that using the second router would isolate all the camera traffic so as to not interfere with the other users.

I am running DHCP on both routers so maybe disabling on the second router would help.

I can use the external address from inside the church, but I was worried that the traffic was going out and back in. I was hopeful that the router was smart enough to keep it inside, but my "test" involved disconnecting the cat5e from the cable modem, after which I could no longer access the Blue Iris server. But maybe it couldn't find it 'cause it needed a DNS server or something. I'll monitor actual traffic on the modem to see if the traffic caused by watching the cameras is staying inside like you think. If it is - everything is great.

I'll let you know how that test goes.

Thank you all for the help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that using the second router would isolate all the camera traffic so as to not interfere with the other users.

I am running DHCP on both routers so maybe disabling on the second router would help.

I can use the external address from inside the church, but I was worried that the traffic was going out and back in. I was hopeful that the router was smart enough to keep it inside, but my "test" involved disconnecting the cat5e from the cable modem, after which I could no longer access the Blue Iris server. But maybe it couldn't find it 'cause it needed a DNS server or something. I'll monitor actual traffic on the modem to see if the traffic caused by watching the cameras is staying inside like you think. If it is - everything is great.

I'll let you know how that test goes.

Thank you all for the help!
If your cameras are wired, you dont even need a second router, as long as the cameras and the blue iris server are connected to the same switch or series of switches no data gets sent to the router. Furthermore, even if it did you would have to have way more cameras than you do to saturate a gigabit router.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you are using a computer do a tracert to find where your traffic is being routed. If you arent using domain names for your bi server and just ip it doesnt care about a dns.

jcrober

n3wb
Reaction score
I did the tracert and the traffic is indeed staying inside the church LAN, even when I'm using the external IP address. So, life is good.

Thank you all,
John