Privacy Screen

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to configure a "privacy screen"? I want to avoid watching or recording a certain area in view of my camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to configure a "privacy screen"? I want to avoid watching or recording a certain area in view of my camera.
There are two ways to accomplish this.
The first is simply to use an image (pick a solid color if you wish) to cover the area..camera properties>video>text and graphic overlay. Note that the overlay will not cover the area in the recording if you are using direct to disk, you may or may not want this.
The second is to use the area of interest option (likely what you want)... camera properties>video
"The Area of Interest (AOI) setting allows you to select a sub-set of the full resolution frame to use for a network IP camera. You may wish to exclude part of the frame for privacy concerns, or you may have multiple camera windows each devoted to a section of a large full frame. Once set, you must first un-check the option as well as the Anamorphic setting and return here to select a new AOI."

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
your camera may may have a privacy mask feature in addition to BI's options mentioned by fenderman.
hikvision, for example, has it under configuration/advanced configuration/image/privacy mask.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks! If I use the camaera privacy mask, will BlueIris motion detect still work in this area?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks! If I use the camaera privacy mask, will BlueIris motion detect still work in this area?
It certainly will not work if you use the cameras mask. Not sure about the overlay option in blue iris, I think it will work. Test and see.
If it doesnt you can clone the camera and hide it...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
why would you want to trigger on motion in the privacy-masked area? seems like defeating the purpose of the mask...

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
why would you want to trigger on motion in the privacy-masked area? seems like defeating the purpose of the mask...
My camera is catching a neighbors window. I really don't want to record what is happening inside the window. However, I would like to capture if someone walks in between the camera and the neighbors window.
Granted I can see that this could be a difficult problem to solve in the software.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are two ways to accomplish this.
The first is simply to use an image (pick a solid color if you wish) to cover the area..camera properties>video>text and graphic overlay. Note that the overlay will not cover the area in the recording if you are using direct to disk, you may or may not want this.
The second is to use the area of interest option (likely what you want)... camera properties>video
"The Area of Interest (AOI) setting allows you to select a sub-set of the full resolution frame to use for a network IP camera. You may wish to exclude part of the frame for privacy concerns, or you may have multiple camera windows each devoted to a section of a large full frame. Once set, you must first un-check the option as well as the Anamorphic setting and return here to select a new AOI."
I created a png with paint.exe which creates a rectangle. I can't pull the corners in BlueIris to make a trapezoid to match the stretched window in the view perspective. Please let me know if somebody has an idea.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do I save the overlay in BlueIris?
After closing and reopening BlueIris, the overlay rectangles are gone...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do I save the overlay in BlueIris?
After closing and reopening BlueIris, the overlay rectangles are gone...

You must be deleting the actual image..you need to keep the image on the computer in the same location...just save it in the blue iris folder.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I am not deleting it. Turns out the file hasbeen deleted indeed. Does BlueIris clean up its folder?
I copy the image into the Program Files/BlueIris folder.
Close BlueIris
Start BlueIris

The image is gone.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I am not deleting it. Turns out the file hasbeen deleted indeed. Does BlueIris clean up its folder?
I copy the image into the Program Files/BlueIris folder.
Close BlueIris
Start BlueIris

The image is gone.
Save it in the blue iris folder used for storage (default c:\blue iris) or any other folder on the drive.

Reaction score
I like the idea of a privacy mask over certain areas, but would this be possible with PTZ cameras, I know with video editing you can fairly easily blur out a section of video and motion track that section so the blur follows the object in the video, but is this at all possible with a live camera.

For example I want to record the entire of my back garden but don't want to peep in to my neighbors window behind me, so I'm looking for a solution to set up that as being blocked off some how so as the camera pans or tilts past and it comes into the view the blur or image overlay would take effect.

Also like above I would not wish this to stop motion being detected if someone happens to walk into that area of the garden.

Possible or pipe dream?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a privacy mask over certain areas, but would this be possible with PTZ cameras, I know with video editing you can fairly easily blur out a section of video and motion track that section so the blur follows the object in the video, but is this at all possible with a live camera.

For example I want to record the entire of my back garden but don't want to peep in to my neighbors window behind me, so I'm looking for a solution to set up that as being blocked off some how so as the camera pans or tilts past and it comes into the view the blur or image overlay would take effect.

Also like above I would not wish this to stop motion being detected if someone happens to walk into that area of the garden.

Possible or pipe dream?
See the video below. I dont know if all the hikvision ptz's have this. Lots of folks with hik ptz should be able to comment on which models this is available on.