Possible hacking into blueiris?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
THANK YOU GUYS!! This community is the best :) It is working and i am viewing my cams! Dang that wasnt to hard after all!!!
And you don't have china watching your every move.:)

You might want to make sure your cameras are blocked from accessing the internet, as they can be made into bots also.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure you run all Windows updates and run a full anti-virus scan of EVERYTHING (including your Blue Iris and video storage folders if you have them whitelisted in your AV).

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure you run all Windows updates and run a full anti-virus scan of EVERYTHING (including your Blue Iris and video storage folders if you have them whitelisted in your AV).
I believe i do have them whitelisted, I selected "full scan" in windows security, so hopefully that is scanning everything. Thank you!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks! I turned off Upnp in my router.. is that sufficient? or do i need to go into all my cameras and find/turn off also? I havent logged into them in a long time.. they are all dahua and hikvisions
Double check in the router that you don't have open ports that you're not aware of. Turning off UPnP will prevent things from being able to open new ports but it won't close those that have already been opened.

Killing it at the router should prevent it but you can also disable on the cameras just to be sure in case they're moved to some other system, new router, etc. While you're there you can put nonsense values into the gateway and DNS settings on the camera. If it won't let you use something like 0.0.0.0 you most always can use the IP address of that camera so it just points to itself.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still not on a VPN equiped router at home, but with this thread, it may help me muddle through it. Just paid 2500 to Uncle Sam in estimated taxes, and $900 in hotel bills, blah blah,blah, ( low on Cash dudes) ....Thanks to the guys who gave input on this post.

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Double check in the router that you don't have open ports that you're not aware of. Turning of UPnP will prevent things from being able to open new ports but it won't close those that have already been opened.

Killing it at the router should prevent it but you can also disable on the cameras just to be sure in case they're moved to some other system, new router, etc. While you're there you can put nonsense values into the gateway and DNS settings on the camera. If it won't let you use something like 0.0.0.0 you most always can use the IP address of that camera so it just points to itself.
With this Asus router there was a simple on/off switch on the forwarding page. When i clicked off my entries turned "greyed out" and i was no longer able to connect to my server in the usual way. Pretty sure it is all disabled. I remember now i did put the correct gateway and dns so the cameras could connect to a time server.. guess i will need to figure something else out for that.. Thanks for the help!

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still not on a VPN equiped router at home, but with this thread, it may help me muddle through it. Just paid 2500 to Uncle Sam in estimated taxes, and $900 in hotel bills, blah blah,blah, ( low on Cash dudes) ....Thanks to the guys who gave input on this post.
It was pretty easy with the Asus router. I just enabled OpenVPN in the router settings. Entered a username and password in the box and hit apply. Clicked the "export" button. Moved that file to my phone and installed the OpenVPN app and directed it to said file. Entered the same username and pw as i did on the router and boom it worked.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Which entries on the router? Not sure which forwarding you're referring to above. Edit to add: Never mind... I think I follow after re-reading. You turned off the port that you were using and could not reach the server anymore. Assuming nothing else open there, you should be OK then.

If you've blocked Internet access to/from the cameras on the router (as mentioned earlier in the thread), then they won't be able to reach an external time server anyway even with a good gateway/DNS.

You can run a time server on your BI server and, as long as the cameras/BI are on the same subnet, you should be able to reach that without any gateway/DNS by entering the IP. Search for NetTime. Lots here use that.

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which entries on the router? Not sure which forwarding you're referring to above. Edit to add: Never mind... I think I follow after re-reading. You turned off the port that you were using and could not reach the server anymore. Assuming nothing else open there, you should be OK then.

If you've blocked Internet access to/from the cameras on the router (as mentioned earlier in the thread), then they won't be able to reach an external time server anyway even with a good gateway/DNS.

You can run a time server on your BI server and, as long as the cameras/BI are on the same subnet, you should be able to reach that without any gateway/DNS by entering the IP. Search for NetTime. Lots here use that.
Yep you followed what i was saying! Thanks for the heads up with NetTime

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you don't have a VPN capable router, ZeroTier will get you to the BI computer, no charge. I have a Google mesh system with five APs, and didn't want to replace them all for VPN. Hence ZeroTier and it works well.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

UPDATE: Its working now! I needed to tick the box "Allow other computers to sync"

I been trying to get NetTime to work.. I installed nettime with no issues, installed as a service, and it was able to retrieve the time from its server. It says status is good and no errors. Nettime is installed on my BI server which has the ip address 192.168.1.100, Here is a picture of my time settings in my dahua camera. Does it look like i have anything setup wrong? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks fine to me (assuming that you're seeing the right time for your location).

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also check the log which would show what clients you have synching their time with your NTP server. Click settings and toward the bottom of the screen, select the view button next to logging level. You should see entries that look like this:

9/20/2021 4:01:48 PM Sent NTP Response to: 172.22.42.101

If you aren't seeing anything in the log, trying increasing the logging level to debug.

kp36c

n3wb
Reaction score
I just use free Google Remote Desktop or Teamviewer on my BI host and remote control in from the remote PC which does not require port forwarding or VPN.

Yes, it is a few seconds slower to connect but you don't need the BI web server running, port forwarding or VPN.