Possible DJI Drone Ban?

TuckNTruck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sheesh... I never refer to my quadcopters as drones. I call them quads. To me, a "drone" is a very expensive piece of equipment used for very long range surveillance and/or killing. My 240 gram DJI Mini 2 fits neither of those parameters (and it has far greater range than any of my other quads)...
I gave up on that battle a long, long time ago. Been flying RC planes and helis for 30+ years. I was strapping cameras onto 500-600 size RC helicopters before anyone could imagine the FPV stuff we have today. And I still haven't ever owned a drone. I'm happy with my RC helicopters for that hobby, but I'm interested in the mapping/survey type applications that are possible with drones nowadays, but we're talking several thousand dollars to get into something like that. I'd hate to invest the time and money only to have our government shut it all down, hence my question.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I gave up on that battle a long, long time ago. Been flying RC planes and helis for 30+ years. I was strapping cameras onto 500-600 size RC helicopters before anyone could imagine the FPV stuff we have today. And I still haven't ever owned a drone. I'm happy with my RC helicopters for that hobby, but I'm interested in the mapping/survey type applications that are possible with drones nowadays, but we're talking several thousand dollars to get into something like that. I'd hate to invest the time and money only to have our government shut it all down, hence my question.
Absolutely agree the mapping, survey, and crop spraying is truly incredible. A farmer can now spray anytime when they choose at the fraction of the price of a plane drop.

The topographical mapping of terrain is next level awesome. The initial costs are high for the hardware but once laid out the device can be used for something else.

I also agree with the other member here that if people just used common sense. There wouldn’t be a need to regulate the hell out a great technology!:banghead:

Regardless, probably the best technology to come into market was object avoidance, follow me, auto land, return home!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I also agree with the other member here that if people just used common sense.
...and we all know how "common" that is these days.

I have a good friend, a great guy, that says all the time "They should do what's right". I, in turn, always reply "but Stephen, too many people have lost their moral compass and don't KNOW what's right. Too many see what was considered NOT "right" a number of years ago as "right" these days. :confused:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
...and we all know how "common" that is these days.

I have a good friend, a great guy, that says all the time "They should do what's right". I, in turn, always reply "but Stephen, too many people have lost their moral compass and don't KNOW what's right. Too many see what was considered NOT "right" a number of years ago as "right" these days. :confused:
Sadly, there is so much truth in that statement. I never ever thought the world could be in a state were right, wrong, and everything in between could be argued. :banghead:

All anyone can ever do today, tomorrow, into the future is lead by example. Do right by others, your word is your bond, and a handshake is the deal.

If you have children or have impact on younger people. Listen, encourage, and guide them !!!:headbang:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a <250 gram Protensic. It flies very stable, has a nice 4k camera with 3 axis gimble that does not have optical zoom. It's cool to see what the countryside looks like from 400' above your head. Last thing I would do is fly and try to look in my neighbors windows. That isn't part of the hobby. Most pervs don't have enough money or skill to do those types of things. The DJI ban only applies to government agencies, although there are some agencies that are going to fight the ban. They have invested heavily in DJI and there isn't an American drone manufacturer that even comes close to what the Chinese have done with drones. I also have a Parrot that was made in France. My little Chinese made Protensic will literally fly circles around it.