PoE splitter wanted that provides both 12v *AND* PoE on the camera end

psandor

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm curious...what is it you're setting up?

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:
Thanks, TonyR!

I plan to install 4 Amcrest PoE outdoor cameras at 4 different locations around the house. At 3 out of those 4 locations, I will also add Zooz motion sensors to turn on the lights if there is movement (via SmartThings switches).
The sensors will be close to the cameras so I'd prefer bringing only one Ethernet cable to each location and split it to the 5V for the motion sensor and the PoE for the camera, instead of bringing 2 pairs of ethernet to those 3 locations, and using an 8 port PoE switch instead of a 4 port one (which I already bought...).

I believe that a PoE in / 5V + PoE out splitter would be the perfect solution but I could found only 12V models. Does this make sense? Any ideas?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
a cheaper option for 12V repeater: US $9.6 20% OFF|XINFI 24 70V DC Input 12V2A Output PoE Splitter/Extender/Repeater DC 5.5*2.1 For IP Camera/AP Cascading Mode Easy Installation|Transmission & Cables| - AliExpress
(requires passive poe in on pins 4/5(+),7/8(-)

could use another 12-to-5v adapter there, i suppose:

Or do Mode-A active PoE over 123&6 for the cams, passive 5V over the other two pairs with passive combiner/splitters:

+
+
+ (4x)

where there's a will, there's a way!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

psandor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, pozzello. Going through the links you shared, I realized that my cameras also have a 2.1mm input besides the PoE. So I'll try to use a PoE to 12V splitter, then split the 12V output into two, one goes to the camera, the other one to the 12V-to-5V converter, and then the motion detector. I'll posts the results here once all the components arrived.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
various options include finding 12V PIR sensors.. :)

DonJuane

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to tap Ethernet signal off a remote located Amcrest IP camera that is currently supplied by a POE Amcrest powered Ethernet switch. What I think I need to do is obtain a power splitter and power injector and then use the conventional nonPOE internet LAN cable ends of both the non-powered LAN plugs inserted into the ports of a cheap conventional Ethernet switch. Ideally I would tie the two power pigtails in/out together and the camera would still be powered by the remote Blue Amcress multiple port POE powered switch. I would like to use some 803.af passive units I found for 2 for $11 but I tried a couple of them and they didn't work, so I think I need something more elaborate. What I am doing effectively or what I want to do is split the actual Ethernet away from the power supply, attach the 2 conventional Ethernet jacks into the switch. Then I can plug any regular ethernet appliances into the cheap switch. Thanks!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
'803.af' and 'passive' are mutually exclusive. ie, most splitters are one the other, not both.

if you want to provide a poe (or non-poe) ethernet to another device at the end of a currently 802.3af PoE Camera run, just use one of these (mini 3 port pass-thru switch):

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DonJuane

n3wb
Reaction score
So are you saying that I can run the existing wire from the POE powered Ethernet hub in the "IN" and plug the existing camera into the "CAMERA" jack and that this device works as an ethernet switch where the "OUT" is a NON-powered Ethernet switched jack which could for example supply the nonPOE access point device?

Thanks!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, both outputs have PoE available, but it's fine to plug a non-poe ethernet device in. that's the beauty of 'active' 802.3af/t PoE. can't do that with passive,

DonJuane

n3wb
Reaction score
My desire is to add a wireless "access point" at the end of my long camera POE run so I can have a wireless signal in the remote building which is far from my home or far enough that it has no usable wifi signal. (Only about 1 bar of wifi signal is in the remote building.)

wwdv

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but this might be interesting for people facing the same issue:

You can use a passive RJ45 network splitter to connect the network cable from the PoE switch to both the camera and a PoE splitter.
The switch detects the camera and activates PoE, providing power to both the camera and the splitter.
However, this loads one port of the switch with two devices, each equipped with DC-blocking transformers.

I dont know if that is a problem, but if you want to avoid that:

Tap only the green wire (pin 6) and the orange wire (pin 2) from the network cable between the (802.3at) PoE switch and the camera.
Connect these wires to an (802.3at) PoE splitter, so that the wire pairs are not directly connected to the transformers of the switch.
This creates a branch that supplies only DC power to the splitter without loading the wire pairs and potentially disrupting data transmission.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use a passive RJ45 network splitter to connect the network cable from the PoE switch to both the camera and a PoE splitter.
I've had a camera with external IR illuminators and microphone wired this way for a few years and it works, no problem, with just the dumb passive splitter. No research or heavy thinking involved, just tried as an experiment it to reduce the rats nest of DC wiring a little. I can easily imagine some situations where this wouldn't work out so I don't pitch it as a blanket solution, more of a go try it, it might work.