POE/Ptp Setup

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am wondering if I will have bandwidth and/or interface issues with this setup. (total of 7 4k cameras). What is the bandwidth of one 4k camera vs the point to point radio?

There are several existing point to point setups in the immediate area that are 2.4Ghz, but I would most likely use a 5Ghz Ptp.

Just noticed I forgot to add a/c power to the bottom camera ptp, there is power at that location.

Thank you!

Thank you20240312_200756.jpg

Last edited:

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IMHO bandwidth shouldn't be a problem on any decent AP, even 2.4GHz. Most I've used will support at least 150 Mb/s. You shouldn't be near that. Most newer cameras can use H.265 video compression, so your bandwidth needs will be more or less cut in half vs H.264. One thing to keep in mind - bandwidth will decrease with distance (as with every transmission scheme), but your setup isn't "distant". However, competing signals can degrade performance, and possibly cause problems IF the other signals are very close/ very strong. Since your APs and receiving stations are relatively close, I wouldn't normally expect this to be a major issue. 5 GHz has more channels and wider bandwidth available vs 2.4; and is often preferred for use such as this or other IoT & ISP services. However, 5GHz is more intolerant of obstructions in the line of sight.... especially plant foliage. It definitely will be strictly LINE OF SIGHT - no diffraction hopping over ridges with this setup. Obstructions do not actually have to be in the VISIBLE line of sight path, but just in the Fresnel zone radius (which can be significant depending on freqs involved) - if my memory serves. But, usually with the 2.4 or 5 GHz APs and stations, it's pretty simple point-n-shoot, close is good enough. I use a pair of 2.4GHz links over a short 250 meter hop from one buildning to another. Carries 8 cameras (6 are 4k), pius local IoT, and backhaul for a WLAN net... works fine for me, but my bandwidth needs are relatively low on average. Used 2.4 links because (a) I had several on hand (b) shooting through some woods, so signal absorption and scattering could be a problem at 5 GHz. Otherwise I'd probably opt for 5 Ghz links.
Just my .02, YMMV