PoE/PoE+ switches w/Fiber or Fiber Media Convertors

ilmrfd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with PoE/PoE+ switches with Fiber capability, or experience with Fiber media convertors.

I've got a couple of sites that will need fiber runs, and I'm trying to decide if going with LC GBIC terminated fiber capable switches or just going with media convertors into a regular PoE/PoE+ switch will be the best long term solution.

Thanks

joeseph

n3wb
Reaction score
I've always found having external media converters is a recipe for more problems, frequently their powerpack (usually large) falls out of the mains socket, and often the DC plug is easily dislodged resulting in an outage. Best use a switch with built-in or SFP module fibre if budget allows...

Trey

n3wb
Reaction score
I've used many of the switches with SFP ports like joeseph recommended. Never had one issue with them. I recently had some trouble with PoE on some of Netgear's larger switches so I cannot recommend them. The Cisco SG line of switches is what we are currently using for larger deployments and they work great.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
x4

Media converters should be a last resort or temp option in an emergency.

Antitrust

n3wb
Reaction score
x5. Phasing media converters out due to them being the single most troublesome component on our network. (Besides users!)