PoE Managed Switch

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as managed switches, I'll reiterate my standard line..... don't buy new - buy used off Ebay or from an equipment recycler.

There are TONs of inexpensive enterprise grade networks switches that are being sold because the company that previously used them had to upgrade to something better. For the average residential use, they still have plenty of power and life in them. Fan noise can be a concern with certain models, so you should do a little research.

Here are my current favorites (there is plenty of great information in this thread as well)..... Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Last edited:

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only reason we have cameras is because my wife wanted them, me personally I had never ever considered them. Did take approx 2 years of badgering me before I relented and had them installed but she did have a say in exactly where and how they were installed to minimise their obviousness.
About a week after we were robbed, I said, "I've been thinking about cameras"
Her reply, "Me too."

Now it's very commonly heard, "Let's go to the cameras...." Usually wildlife, often times stray dogs.

The system keeps growing.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, my wife has taken to reviewing the previous nights activity when she gets home from work each day or first thing in the morning on the weekends.

So far we have had multiple cats wandering around, 1 cat playing with a mouse, a raccoon on the deck checking out the bird seed storage container (and everything else on the deck) and way to many coyotes coming too close to the house.

The more interesting thing is when she takes the dog out in the morning and he goes crazy following a scent trail, when they comes back in she immediately goes to the cameras to see what made the trail he was following.

I need to get a cheap remote controlled car that is the size of a cat/possum/skunk/raccoon that I can use to help set the object size and other settings for the triggers on the cameras where those critters are coming in, rather than the current method of "adjust and hope", since I am not always getting alerts on them. Not sure what to do to simulate a coyote.