PoE damaged wire help

rosszx10r

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I'm trying to repair a damaged insun camera but I can't seem to get PoE working.
I've attached pics.
If I wire the solid black and red to the power it works off the plug.
But Ive tried both combos of putting the red/white black/white where the blues would normally go but no joy

Attachments

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
POE requires all 8 wires of a network cable to work. You do not have eight wires terminated in that plug. You'll need to re-terminate that plug with the correct wiring pinout for your situation. If you are using an older "telephone" wire that only has 6 wires (3 pairs) you will not be able to use it for POE.

This image might help, but we have no way of knowing how the other end of this cable is terminated. What wires you do have terminated match the normal T-568B pinout scheme, but there is no guarantee the other ends is terminated the same way.

Last edited:

rosszx10r

n3wb
Reaction score
It used to be Poe before it got dashed
Damaged. I lost the original end down the cavity wall

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using a POE switch, POE injector, or separate DC power line for the camera? I know you said POE, it's just that the second picture looks like you could be using a separate DC supply. The network cable uses all 8 wires only if you're using a POE injector, and 4 wires if using a POE switch or separate DC supply (there do exist rare nonstandard exceptions to this). I can't find any info for an Insun camera. If you're using a separate DC power line, for most cameras that would be 12 volts, where standard POE is nominal 48 volts. More info needed to get anywhere with this.

rosszx10r

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a Poe switch, I used the 12v power supply to test I had the wires correctly.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming you have a common standard POE switch, it uses POE mode A which sends power and data together on the orange and green pairs of the network cables, with the blue and brown pairs unused, so that missing blue pair in the connector should be a non-issue. If the black and red wires are 12 volt, they don't belong in the network connector, but go to a separate camera power connector (this is typical, again I don't have any info about your specific camera). The have been multiple reports on the forum of a camera's POE circuitry having failed, where the camera won't work from POE power, but still works when the separate 12 volt supply is used. Even with the missing blue pair in the RJ45 being a non-issue, it's kind of weird, and questions the integrity of the network cable.

rosszx10r

n3wb
Reaction score
I have striped the wire right back can't see any damage.
I have two more of these which I going to replace with upgrades I will take a look when I bring them down. In the cable there is the orange pair green pair and brown pair like a normal cat5, no blue. Then there is a black and red which I assume is the 12v also and a black/white red/white pair which I have no idea about

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
POE requires all 8 wires of a network cable to work.
Not true actually. 802.3af Mode A is commonly supported and uses the same pins 1,2,3,6 for both data and power, and actually does work with cables that only include those 4 wires. Mode B uses 4,5,7,8 for power. Higher power stuff (802.3bt / PoE++) use all 8 wires for power.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The "damage" typically is at the plug or termination within at either side. You can have breaks and other problems within the cable and failures within the camera but stripping some back isn't likely to find that either in most cases. I'm not clear on what original problem you're trying to solve and what you're working with as far as camera or cable. Maybe take a pic of the cable pairs and the camera and connector.