Pls help improve night time quality. Hik 2335-I

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

Please see below pics comparing day and night shots. Now this is a Hikvision 2335-I which jas an IR range of 20-30 metres. This camera below is less than 10m from the car. The car is hardly visible at night !

192.168.1.9_01_20151123003035877.jpg

192.168.1.9_01_20151123002928952.jpg

Capture.PNG

Some other settings are:

Auto switch Day and night
Sensitivity 4
Filtering Time 5
Smart IR OFF

Image Adjustment
Brightness / Contrast / Saturation / Sharpness all set to 50

Exposure Settings
Iris Mode Manual
Exposure Time 1/25

Backlight settings
BLC Area OFF
WDR OFF

Digital Noise Reduction Normal Mode

Here is another camera (same model)

192.168.1.9_05_20151123003400106.jpg

192.168.1.9_05_20151123002851984.jpg

Camera setting are same as shown above

Dont have much street lighting. Only light is small light fitting on front wall of house.

This is how it looks from street at night. Those three wall lights are all the camera has at night, apart from its IR. Also shows one of the cameras on extreme right....

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

Please see below pics comparing day and night shots. Now this is a Hikvision 2335-I which jas an IR range of 20-30 metres. This camera below is less than 10m from the car. The car is hardly visible at night !
You need better camera positioning/aiming and optionally additional external IR lighting if you want the best out of these cameras. As you will notice, the camera's on-board IR, whilst being powerful, has a flashlight effect and cannot spread out and light up the whole scene.

For the first camera, most of the IR light is hitting the wall and simply has no chance of ever reaching your car. You need to aim the camera away form the wall, and get more IR light onto your car. But you may then lose visibility of the area next to the house wall which may not be desirable. So the solution is to use external IR lighting.

Also try increasing the gain but then noise will increase. You can compensate by increasing noise reduction but then the video will lose some sharpness and get softer.
Reducing the frame rate will improve the brightness of the scene, but will also blur motion, which is not desirable for fast moving targets.

Here is another camera (same model)
For the second camera, try the WDR function, and you should consider supplementing the camera's IR with external IR.

Cheers

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks
Any recommendations about a decent mid-range external IR ??
Don't wanna buy the cheapest and probably cannot afford the top end !!

Last edited by a moderator:

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh yeah... Can probably spend more than this ... What's the next best thing ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't done the research actually so I can't really say. There are some board members who know a lot more about IR lamps, so they may pitch in.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have seen these before and wondered how their light output is. Do you have a sample image?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need better camera positioning/aiming and optionally additional external IR lighting if you want the best out of these cameras. As you will notice, the camera's on-board IR, whilst being powerful, has a flashlight effect and cannot spread out and light up the whole scene.

For the first camera, most of the IR light is hitting the wall and simply has no chance of ever reaching your car. You need to aim the camera away form the wall, and get more IR light onto your car. But you may then lose visibility of the area next to the house wall which may not be desirable. So the solution is to use external IR lighting.
Video less of the wall. You actually don't need to video any of the wall. If you set the camera so the wall is just out of sight then if you see a person climb left off screen then he has obviously climbed through your window. You don't need to record them being the otherside of the window! The amount of people who do this amazes me. You need to get people approaching your property, not the back of them heading into it.

Just doing this will make a huge difference.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have seen these before and wondered how their light output is. Do you have a sample image?
This is one of these little ones:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cYfRK8GY

It's 90°, 850nm. The camera is a Hik cube, 2.8mm (which is wider view angle than 90°). They're both inside windows looking out, so not ideal, but it gives you an idea (there's no other lighting). The tree needs cutting back too...

fl1.jpg