Please review and comment on my proposed 20+ mostly-Hikvision camera system upgrade

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing a pool and outdoor living area project, and while the electricians are here, I've been having them run network cable around the house so I can add a bunch more IP cameras.

I currently use Blue Iris to manage my system which consists of mainly Logitech Alert cameras that I will phasing out and selling on Ebay. Logitech stopped making them, and the prices have gone through the roof for the used cameras despite the quality being so-so by today's standards. I have a beastly server running Blue Iris (5820k 6-core overclocked to 4.5 ghz), so I won't have any processing issues.

Attached is a very rough drawing of the house/pool/backyard which I did using my survey, a portion of the house's plans and a sketch of the pool and outdoor living area addition.

Purple square denotes a 4mm camera where a more narrow view is preferred, I was thinking 2332 Hik turrets for the 4:3 ratio.

Red triangle denotes a 2.8mm camera where a wider view is needed, I was thinking 2342 Hik turrets for the wider 16:9 ratio.

Pink triangle denotes a 2.8mm camera rotated "portrait" to get the whole pool from above (it will be mounted 20 feet above the pool on an exposed ridge beam of the structure). Again, probably a 2342 turret. (I have 2 network drops at this location).

Blue 3-point star denotes a 180 degree panoramic cameras. I was thinking 6362 Hik. I believe its stream is de-warped before going to Blue Iris. I also looked at the 12 megapixel Dahua briefly but I'm not sure whether it sends a de-warped 180 degree panoramic stream to Blue Iris. I also looked at some Vivotek options.

Yellow circle also denotes a 180 degree panoramic camera, but in places where I don't need the IR (kid's playroom and front door which is well illuminated), I was thinking the Vivotek CC8370-HV since it is fairly small and will work/fit well at the front door as well as the playroom (but I'm open to an alternative).

Purple square and Red triangle with arrows are existing Vivotek cameras I will keep.

I need to get a POE switch for these, planning to get a 24 port. The one from Nelly's is 802.3at on all 24 ports. As far as I know, it is ok to use an the Hik "af" devices on an "at" switch, right? It just won't work the other way around since the "af" standard doesn't provide enough power for the "at" devices, right? The Vivoteks need "at" though I have a dedicated injector I could use for them if there is a much better option that will work for 95% of the cameras.

On the 2 "Blue 3-point star" cameras facing each other (one would be mounted about 8 feet above grade on the face of an outdoor fireplace, the other about the same height on the house) will the IRs facing each other be a big problem? I guess I'm not sure whether it would look like a point of light on the image or a huge glaring annoyance from each perspective (or somewhere in between). I suppose I could eliminate the one on the fireplace (I have 2 drops at the back of the fireplace). Or, I could disable the IR leds perhaps on both cameras and use an IR illuminator or 2? The pool deck is all pretty well lit, so I'm not sure how necessary the IR will even be out there.

I definitely need audio the 2 Purple 4mm that are inside the house since we use them as monitors for the baby's nursery and toddler's crib. These cameras should be 4:3 ratio since I use 2 old iPads as the always-on monitors in the kitchen/family room for the kids' cams. I was thinking that I could get 2732s which would allow me to mount the cameras either high on the wall or on the ceilings above the cribs and zoom in after install to get the best image.

Thanks in advance for your input! Let me know what questions you have for me.

Attachments