Please help me drop my frustrating NVR and setup cameras on my Server

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 of the below cameras along with the NVR. I've been very disappointed with the NVR interface and patchy remote access, and would like to investigate connecting the directly to my i7 Xeon server with BlueIris, running windows server 2012. At the moment I don't have a POE switch but am just connecting one camera to my regular gigabit switch, which I assume is OK for testing purposes.

http://www.laviewusa.com/laview-lv-kn988p86a4-t2-full-hd-1080p-8-channel-nvr-6-hd-security-cameras.html

Here are a few questions that I hope someone can help with!

- Do I need to flash each camera with Hikvision firmware first?
- Each camera in the Laview NVR has its own IP. Is THAT the IP I need to forward as a rule in my routers settings? I already have the NVR itself forwarded
- If that IS the correct IP address, how does the username and password of it work? When its connected to the NVR is just says 'ADMIN' and no password (I normally of course just connect to the NVR and not the camera
individually).
- I can connect to a login screen for the individual camera when its connect to my router and not the NVR, but no username and password works (I've tried admin with no password, plus my overall NVR password). Is there a default I'm missing?
- For note I already installed C++ and turned on the media functions as described elsewhere
- I also have BlueIris set up as a firewall rule so its clears OK

Thanks in advance. I've been playing with the settings all afternoon and am getting nowhere fast!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@emailrob Welcome to the forum.
Dont flash the cameras, it will only cause problems.
You will not use the ip address in the laview nvr...when you connect the cameras to a switch your router will assign an ip address within the subnet. Make sure you use dhcp reservation to set the ip static, or assign the camera a static ip outside the dhcp range of your router.
Try admin and 12345
what exact processor do you have in the machine? You may choke the server if its really old. Many of those old xeon servers are power hogs...you might be better off buying a 300 dollar haswell i5-4590 machine from dell or hp (search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk.
Set blue iris to record direct to disk, camera properties>record >file format

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

How do I know the IP address of the cam on my router?

I did the below and it worked, but apart from running it then disconnecting from the camera and looking by process of elimination, I'm not sure how to find it out?
I use Google's Hub and the app itself does show all connected devices, so maybe that way?

For info, I have this server http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2NS-0006-0J3V0 - at the moment its being used for photo storage backup (local and CrashPlan) anbd Plex

• Type “ipconfig” at command prompt. This will give you ip address of your own machine. ...
  • Ping your broadcast IP address “ping 192.168.1.255” (may require -b on linux)
  • Now type arp -a You will get the list of all IP addresses on your segment.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

How do I know the IP address of the cam on my router?

I did the below and it worked, but apart from running it then disconnecting from the camera and looking by process of elimination, I'm not sure how to find it out?
I use Google's Hub and the app itself does show all connected devices, so maybe that way?

For info, I have this server http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2NS-0006-0J3V0 - at the moment its being used for photo storage backup (local and CrashPlan) anbd Plex
The easiest way is to use hikvisions SADP software available on their website..it will find the cameras instantly.
Another great way is to use an "fing" its a mobile app, just make sure your phone is connected to your network.
You can also use an ip scanner on your pc. http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/?utm_expid=62919999-37.9-pL9-aBTpGQQqARa3mUoA.0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

That is a modern server and will be just fine (its actually just under an i5, not i7, though unfortunately does not have intel HD graphics for hardware acceleration).

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again

So I hooked up one of the cameras to my regular router (which is connected to my server). However SADP only finds the NVR itself (which I can log into) but not the actual IP camera attached to the router (the one i disconnected from the NVR and moved to the switch directly).

I gave it a few minutes in case it was still initializing, but same thing happened. Tried with one of the other cameras, and the same.

Ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again

So I hooked up one of the cameras to my regular router (which is connected to my server). However SADP only finds the NVR itself (which I can log into) but not the actual IP camera attached to the router (the one i disconnected from the NVR and moved to the switch directly).

I gave it a few minutes in case it was still initializing, but same thing happened. Tried with one of the other cameras, and the same.

Ideas?
how are you powering the camera?

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Just directly into the switch itself as its POE. Does it need separate power somehow? Must I have a POE switch to draw the right power?

The laview website where i log in to view the camera doesn't work (the plugin is outdated), so I can't even test the theory at the moment, and I'd rather not buy a whole new switch (again!) in case it doesn't work

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just directly into the switch itself as its POE. Does it need separate power somehow? Must I have a POE switch to draw the right power?

The laview website where i log in to view the camera doesn't work (the plugin is outdated), so I can't even test the theory at the moment, and I'd rather not buy a whole new switch (again!) in case it doesn't work
Is the switch a poe switch? if you are plugging this into a standard switch or router the camera is not getting any power.

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Its just a regular router, I don't have a full POE switch but if I need one then that's the issue....! I thought I could power it through a regular switch just for testing (i.e. so its not overloaded)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Meh OK thanks!

Final (probably for the moment) question.

Can I plug a POE switch into my existing gigabit router? I'd rather not spend another $100 on an 8 port (which i need due to other devices). A 4 port would suit my needs for POE.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Meh OK thanks!

Final (probably for the moment) question.

Can I plug a POE switch into my existing gigabit router? I'd rather not spend another $100 on an 8 port (which i need due to other devices). A 4 port would suit my needs for POE.
yes

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
The POE switch arrived and I got two of the cameras hooked up for testing. So far so good. I need to spend time this weekend getting access out of my home network (I'm sure its a forwarding issue and the wizard is useful so I'll review in more detail re port forwarding, IP reservations etc).

I THINK this will be a better solution to get me off the crappy laview software, issues with remote access, and no cloud backups.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The POE switch arrived and I got two of the cameras hooked up for testing. So far so good. I need to spend time this weekend getting access out of my home network (I'm sure its a forwarding issue and the wizard is useful so I'll review in more detail re port forwarding, IP reservations etc).

I THINK this will be a better solution to get me off the crappy laview software, issues with remote access, and no cloud backups.
Its much better than ANY standalone NVR I have seen.

emailrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a brief update.

I managed to get the POE router and Blue Iris set up.
Sorted the networking issues and I can now review cameras remotely and reliably
I had to do direct to disc and reduce frame rate down to 20fps so it didn't overload the PC
Turned off motion detect altogether, although I would like it just for the front yard camera so I know who is coming and going. I may turn on notifications for that camera only and see how the CPU load goes. At the moment its running around 66%
So far the recordings are working. I have to get the old HD installed so I can mirror them for backup, but would also like to use my CrashPlan service for weekly backups. The file sizes are large so needs some investigation on post-recording transcoding.

But overall all good!