Please help. Lost password for DS-2CD2T42WD-I5.. TFTP not working

Creeker7

n3wb
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody can help. I purchased a DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 from a co-worker last year who purchased the camera from Amazon. He apparently set a default password but forgot it (and didn't tell me when I purchased it). One year later I'm finally getting around to installing it, but cannot login since I don't have the password. I tried Hikvision USA, but they couldn't help, and I tried the password reset tool unsuccessfully also.

The camera shows up in SADP as software version 5.4.5 build 170124 withan IP address of 192.168.1.64. No "CH" in the SN, but rather a "BBWR".

I thought I would try to flash it with the same software version or above, but TFTP shows initialized for the server, but nothing else displays. I set my laptop to 192.0.0.128 and both the camera and laptop are on the same switch. Could TFTP not be finding the camera since the camera IP is 192.168.1.64? I can't change the IP in SADP to 192.0.0.64 since I obviously can't login without a password.

Can anybody please assist or offer advice? I did some googling and searched the forum, but nothing pops out at me that can get me going in the right direction. Will flashing it even work for this model?

Thanks.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, re-flashing correct firmware via TFTPd should work to reset and clear password.
At bootup, cam should be searching for TFTP server @ 192.0.0.128 (your laptop) from 192.0.0.64.

if you don't see "Test TFTP server" and "client connect" messages within a few seconds of powering up the cam,
there's something wrong with your setup.
- double check your laptop's IP (should be 192.0.0.128 on an ethernet port, not wifi)
- be sure to use the hikvision TFTPd server (not generic, the cam needs to see the hik server's 'magic number' in it's response)

Creeker7

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I am using the Hikvision TFTPd server and the laptop and cam is wired to the same switch. It finds the server when I first open the app and it shows the 192.0.0.128 Initialized. But nothing after that. As I mentioned, the camera IP in SAPD shows 192.168.1.64, not 192.0.0.64. Are you saying when the camera first starts, it does start with the 192.0.0.64? I tried a different PC too. Such a shame having to trash a perfectly good camera just because an incorrect password :( Thank you.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
ok, that part of your setup sounds good. you also need the right firmware file (dgicap.dav) in the same folder as the tftdp server application.
i think the behavior you describe (no apparent connection) can happen if the tftpd server does not find digicap.dav in it's folder to serve to the client/cam.

this should work on your cam: https://us.hikvision.com/sites/default/files/firmware/ipc_en_std_5.5.53_1807302x12fwd_2x22fwd_2x42fwd_2x52f.zip
once you've downloaded the zip file, you need to extract the digicap.dav file and place it in the folder you have the tftpd server in.

double-check all that and we'll go from there. this should be do-able...

Creeker7

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I appreciate your assistance. I did have the digicap.dav file in the c:\tftp folder. In fact, I tried a few different versions, including the one you recommended. Just for grins I performed an Ipconfig from the dos prompt and the laptop is set for 192.0.0.128. I run the tftpserver as administrator, and again, it shows initialized, but nothing displays after I unplug and plug in the power on the camera. It just shows "[2019-01-20 09:40:24] TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized". I even let it sit for an hour (not that I was expecting anything to happen, I just walked away and forgot about it). I'm using this article: https://securitycamcenter.com/hikvision-tftp-procedure/...Thanks again.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hm. not sure about that version of the hikvision TFTPd server. maybe it's legit, but i can't say.
I've used the one from here (posted by WhosLooking from this forum?)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hy72q4osstun72/5.30 Downgrader.rar?dl=0
oh, if you haven't already, try disabling your Windows Firewall (temporarily) or any other firewall you may have installed on your PC. it may be interfering. Shoulda mentioned that earlier...

Creeker7

n3wb
Reaction score
I was able to flash the firmware just as I received your reply. We are on exactly the same brainwaves. I not only downloaded Hikvision tftp again from another source but I also disabled my firewall and thread protection. It turned out McAfee firwall was blocking it. I was able to set a new password! Mission accomplished. Greatly appreciate your help here, Pozzello! Happy days....