Please critique my camera selection and placement before I make an order!

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all! I’ve been lurking in the shadows for some time now mulling over an investment in a proper security camera system to protect my property. My goal is to allow for 24/7 surveillance and provide image quality for facial recognition if someone were to approach one of my three entry doors.

This is my first rodeo so my plan is to keep the system simple and flexible. For the cameras I am thinking I should use HDW5231R-ZE. I would couple those with a NVR5208 POE. I’d like to mount the cameras in the soffits.

I’ve attached an overview of my house with proposed camera locations. I’ve also included pictures of each area. Am I on the right path? Does the hardware selection make sense for my application? Should I consider different cameras or NVR? Any other thoughts?

I’d greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks for reading and the help.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all! I’ve been lurking in the shadows for some time now mulling over an investment in a proper security camera system to protect my property. My goal is to allow for 24/7 surveillance and provide image quality for facial recognition if someone were to approach one of my three entry doors.

This is my first rodeo so my plan is to keep the system simple and flexible. For the cameras I am thinking I should use HDW5231R-ZE. I would couple those with a NVR5208 POE. I’d like to mount the cameras in the soffits.

I’ve attached an overview of my house with proposed camera locations. I’ve also included pictures of each area. Am I on the right path? Does the hardware selection make sense for my application? Should I consider different cameras or NVR? Any other thoughts?

I’d greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks for reading and the help.
Welcome @Cocktail

I would plan for more than just 6 cameras eventually - I would recommend a NVR or PoE switch w/16 ports

Remember to test the locations you are considering before pulling the cables. Pull N+1 cables to each location as eventually you'll want to add one more camera or IR illuminator to a location

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you want facial recording the cameras need to be mounted at 6-8 feet, no more.
Use a test bucket, gravel, 8 ft 2x4 and mount and test the camera location with that. Have a friend walk up the the camera with a hoodie, ball cap and sun glasses, ask your wife to identify the person.

If you park near the garage at night, then two cameras on mounted both sides of the garage.

Please read the cliff notes in the wiki, the wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.